Re: modified hensley

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > note how tight the ridgeline was. i
      > suppose it`s mostly to asure the right hanging distance & sag?

      Yes. That's why he patented the ridgeline. I'm curious how strict
      that patent is...if you tied a different knot or attached it to a
      different place on the hammock, would it still infringe his patent?

      > what i would like is to have
      > the net (& ridgeline too if possible) out of the way when not
      needed &
      > still have the same hammock bed.

      You can leave the net connected at the ends and put the zipper down
      each side. Then when you unzip, use a velcro strap or tie a small
      string around the netting to secure it to the ridgeline. It'll stay
      above your head and out of the way until you release it.

      > i wonder if unhooking the ridgeline
      > after hanging the hammock properly(as the ridgeline dictates)
      would
      > afect the lay of the hammock?

      Yes. If you can hang your hammock so there is zero tension on the
      ridgeline, it wouldn't make any difference, but that would be very
      tough to do. That's why the ridgeline is such a good thing...you
      get better sag with less rope, consistently.

      If you could unhook the ridgeline, take it out of the bugnet, and
      rehook it on the outside, so it's not supporting the net any more,
      you could maintain the lay and the bugnet would be out of the way.

      I'm not sure I'd want to lay on the bugnet, though. Seems too easy
      to tear and not very comfortable.

      IMO, the non-removable bug net is Hennessey's biggest weakness. If
      you can solve that you'll be in business!

      Jeff
    • jsmitty77
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
        Hmmm,

        Just a thought, What if you disconnect the rideline before you hang the
        hammock, then you could get the bed even flatter. I bet if you hung it
        in a woodsy area and elevated the side tensioner by hooking the to tree
        limbs it would be very comfy. Also if you put a thin fleece blanket
        over the bug net after the ridgeline is disconnected than you could
        save you bug net form the opportunity of being damaged
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
          I think what slowhike is saying is to unhook the ridgeline and then
          flip the hammock over so you lie on the nylon, rather than lying on
          the bugnet. i don't know if anyone has done that with a henberry
          hammock or not...

          Bill in Henway

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
            > I think what slowhike is saying is to unhook the ridgeline and then
            > flip the hammock over so you lie on the nylon, rather than lying on
            > the bugnet. i don't know if anyone has done that with a henberry
            > hammock or not...

            Hrm...hadn't thought of that. Sounds like a good plan as long as
            there's not too much stress on the netting. That's worth a good look!

            And that'll make it a top entry hammock, so you could use a PeaPod if
            you wanted. In cold wx, you won't need bug netting anyway.