Re: Hammock Prohibitions?

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
      In my personal opinion, what is more important is what will happen if
      someone finds you where some rule or other states you shouldn't be. In
      Germany, camping rules are difficult to even ascertain. My solution has
      been to stay away from what is clearly private property, and to
      practice Leave No Trace (including visual Leave No Trace, sometimes
      called camouflage). When I hang my bark-brown hammock in a convenient
      fold in the landscape, I'm effectively gone from sight even in
      daylight - after dusk, you'd literally have to stumble against my
      hammock to notice me. As I like to hang 30 to 50 yards (sometimes a
      little more) off the trail, that seems exceedingly unlikely (and has
      never happened).
      If found by a person that believes to have reason to tell me that what
      I'm doing is illegal, I'll apologize politely, point out that I took
      extreme care not to damage anything (tree huggers etc.) without trying
      to thereby tell him (invariably a male) that he's wrong, tell him again
      that I'm sorry and just didn't know and vacate the position. What's
      wrong with a little night hike now and then?
      As long as I don't get fined (or worse) for what I'm doing, it's good
      enough for me to observe the point of the regulations. I'll be the
      first to admit that being so selective about rules is quite iffy
      (especially coming from a lawyer), but as long as I am certain that I
      do no harm to anyone, I think I'll just try it out.
      And honestly, as long as we don't do fool stunts like lighting open
      fire in the woods or such, hanging off the trail in a hammock in a
      subdued colour means we need never have that kind of conversation in
      the first place.

      André

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...> wrote:
      > Just got my first hammock, a Hennessy Expedition Ultralight
      > A-Sym.
      >
      > Talking to a 'buddie' of mine about it, he tells me it's
      > 'against the law' to tie hammocks to trees in Michigan
      > state parks and other places up there. (I'm in Ohio).
      >
      > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
      > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
      >
      > what say ye?
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
        <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:
        > hanging off the trail in a hammock in a
        > subdued colour means we need never have that kind of conversation in
        > the first place.

        Preach on, brother!
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
          Excellent idea Ralph! We should ALL be concerned about damaging trees, no
          matter where they are, State Parks or elsewhere. Using a few dead sticks
          from the ground is just SMART. Even webbing users could help set a good
          example by doing the same...Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          _____

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
            Well said Andre. The subtitle of my book includes the words ‘Convenience &
            Freedom’ and part of that is the ability to camp in undesignated places like
            you describe. But as hammock campers, we should all be aware that we are
            setting an example for those who will follow. As you suggest, Leave No
            Trace techniques and personal integrity will go a long way setting the
            proper example….Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Editor, Hammock Camping News

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            _____

            In my personal opinion, what is more important is what will happen if
            someone finds you where some rule or other states you shouldn't be. In
            Germany, camping rules are difficult to even ascertain. My solution has
            been to stay away from what is clearly private property, and to
            practice Leave No Trace (including visual Leave No Trace, sometimes
            called camouflage). When I hang my bark-brown hammock in a convenient
            fold in the landscape, I'm effectively gone from sight even in
            daylight - after dusk, you'd literally have to stumble against my
            hammock to notice me. As I like to hang 30 to 50 yards (sometimes a
            little more) off the trail, that seems exceedingly unlikely (and has
            never happened).
            If found by a person that believes to have reason to tell me that what
            I'm doing is illegal, I'll apologize politely, point out that I took
            extreme care not to damage anything (tree huggers etc.) without trying
            to thereby tell him (invariably a male) that he's wrong, tell him again
            that I'm sorry and just didn't know and vacate the position. What's
            wrong with a little night hike now and then?
            As long as I don't get fined (or worse) for what I'm doing, it's good
            enough for me to observe the point of the regulations. I'll be the
            first to admit that being so selective about rules is quite iffy
            (especially coming from a lawyer), but as long as I am certain that I
            do no harm to anyone, I think I'll just try it out.
            And honestly, as long as we don't do fool stunts like lighting open
            fire in the woods or such, hanging off the trail in a hammock in a
            subdued colour means we need never have that kind of conversation in
            the first place.

            André

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...> wrote:
            > Just got my first hammock, a Hennessy Expedition Ultralight
            > A-Sym.
            >
            > Talking to a 'buddie' of mine about it, he tells me it's
            > 'against the law' to tie hammocks to trees in Michigan
            > state parks and other places up there. (I'm in Ohio).
            >
            > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
            > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
            >
            > what say ye?

            _____

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
              Ralph-

              When were you hassled about hammocking in Yellowstone? I asked Xanterra reservations for the campgrounds that accepted reservations about hammocks and tieing to trees. No one there knew of an issue, AND, no park people hassled us about the hammocks. We moved around a lot during a week there, sightseeing in one area, then moving to another. We stayed at Bridge Bay, Grant, Norris, Madison (IIRC, and that may have been our one miserable night in a tent), Canyon, and Pebble Creek. We also spent a night in Grand Teton, Fremont Lake Forest Service Campground, and in Buffalo Bill Cody State Park, hammocking with no hassles. This was last summer, 2004. Maybe some enlightenment is creeping into places?

              Rosaleen

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                I've used a stick to help untie my hennessy knot. it helps keep the
                knot away from the tree. this was on a big tree where the huger didnt
                reach all the way around. I put a 2 in dia stick and tied the knot
                right beside it.

                Coy Boy (nowhere neer smart as ralph, seriously! but I do spell better)