modified hensley

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
      thanks for the input. your right jeff, i had observed that when in
      the hammock, the net was loose & therefore seemed to not be part of
      the support system,but i did note how tight the ridgeline was. i
      suppose it`s mostly to asure the right hanging distance & sag? tom
      hensley told me at trail days that one of his HH owners told him how
      he had cut the ridge line & made it reconectable by adding a caribiner
      & short lenth of line to return it to its original length. then he can
      unhook the ridgeline & let the net lay on the hammock & lay on top of
      the hammock. i did this w/ my friends HH & it worked ok, but it just
      didn`t lay the same & was not as stable. what i would like is to have
      the net (& ridgeline too if possible) out of the way when not needed &
      still have the same hammock bed. i wonder if unhooking the ridgeline
      after hanging the hammock properly(as the ridgeline dictates) would
      afect the lay of the hammock? i`m still experimenting. any sugestions
      are welcome. slowhike
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:
        > note how tight the ridgeline was. i
        > suppose it`s mostly to asure the right hanging distance & sag?

        Yes. That's why he patented the ridgeline. I'm curious how strict
        that patent is...if you tied a different knot or attached it to a
        different place on the hammock, would it still infringe his patent?

        > what i would like is to have
        > the net (& ridgeline too if possible) out of the way when not
        needed &
        > still have the same hammock bed.

        You can leave the net connected at the ends and put the zipper down
        each side. Then when you unzip, use a velcro strap or tie a small
        string around the netting to secure it to the ridgeline. It'll stay
        above your head and out of the way until you release it.

        > i wonder if unhooking the ridgeline
        > after hanging the hammock properly(as the ridgeline dictates)
        would
        > afect the lay of the hammock?

        Yes. If you can hang your hammock so there is zero tension on the
        ridgeline, it wouldn't make any difference, but that would be very
        tough to do. That's why the ridgeline is such a good thing...you
        get better sag with less rope, consistently.

        If you could unhook the ridgeline, take it out of the bugnet, and
        rehook it on the outside, so it's not supporting the net any more,
        you could maintain the lay and the bugnet would be out of the way.

        I'm not sure I'd want to lay on the bugnet, though. Seems too easy
        to tear and not very comfortable.

        IMO, the non-removable bug net is Hennessey's biggest weakness. If
        you can solve that you'll be in business!

        Jeff
      • jsmitty77
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
          Hmmm,

          Just a thought, What if you disconnect the rideline before you hang the
          hammock, then you could get the bed even flatter. I bet if you hung it
          in a woodsy area and elevated the side tensioner by hooking the to tree
          limbs it would be very comfy. Also if you put a thin fleece blanket
          over the bug net after the ridgeline is disconnected than you could
          save you bug net form the opportunity of being damaged
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
            I think what slowhike is saying is to unhook the ridgeline and then
            flip the hammock over so you lie on the nylon, rather than lying on
            the bugnet. i don't know if anyone has done that with a henberry
            hammock or not...

            Bill in Henway

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
              > I think what slowhike is saying is to unhook the ridgeline and then
              > flip the hammock over so you lie on the nylon, rather than lying on
              > the bugnet. i don't know if anyone has done that with a henberry
              > hammock or not...

              Hrm...hadn't thought of that. Sounds like a good plan as long as
              there's not too much stress on the netting. That's worth a good look!

              And that'll make it a top entry hammock, so you could use a PeaPod if
              you wanted. In cold wx, you won't need bug netting anyway.