Re: [Hammock Camping] modified hensley?

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce W. Calkins"
      <blackwolfe@b...> wrote:
      > NO, this is not a good idea.
      > The Hennessy Hammock is a integral design and depends on the
      netting for
      > structural shape and probably strength too.

      I have the BP A-sym, and the netting doesn't support ANY weight from
      the hammock. The netting lays loosely on top of the ridgeline and
      doesn't have any stress on it when occupied.

      I'd do a zipper instead of velcro, though. Taking up 1/4" seam
      allowance, plus 1/2" for the velcro, equals 3/4" on each side,
      meaning you're "shortening" the material by ~1.5" all the way
      around. That might add some strain to the netting, or cause your
      velcro to separate when you change positions in the hammock. Using
      a zipper will add back the space you take out with seam allowances,
      so the dimensions will stay roughly the same.

      That's all conjecture, really...it might work just fine with
      Velcro. Try it and let us know! You can always take off the Velcro
      and add in a zipper if it doesn't work.

      Like was said earlier, check Brian from Tampa's pictures of his
      zipper mod.