Re: Hammock Prohibitions?

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...>
      wrote:

      > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
      > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
      >
      > what say ye?

      I say don't go to those parks.

      Most of the state parks I've been to will only let you camp in the
      designated sites, and I don't like to camp in these sites
      anyway...more critters, loud neighbors, hard packed (i.e. dusty)
      ground, etc.

      But if you hike a few miles, you're usually just outside the park
      boundary where you CAN camp wherever you want to...even hanging from
      trees.

      Some of the parks have designated hike-in sites. These are often
      not checked, and if they are the rangers can be lenient if you're
      using tree huggers or webbing. Their concern is protecting the
      trees. Well, I hear some of them are concerned with power
      and "enforcing the rules" over common sense, but I've yet to meet
      one like that.

      If you do go to those parks, check the regulations (or ask a
      ranger), or bring along a hammock stand if you're car camping.
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
        The ranger in Yellowstone that was hassling me agreed that if I put a
        few sticks between the rope and the tree (vertically) then the tree
        would be unharmed. This was before I knew about tree huggers.

        Ralph

        On 6/2/05, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
        > > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
        > >
        > > what say ye?
        >
        > I say don't go to those parks.
        >
        > Most of the state parks I've been to will only let you camp in the
        > designated sites, and I don't like to camp in these sites
        > anyway...more critters, loud neighbors, hard packed (i.e. dusty)
        > ground, etc.
        >
        > But if you hike a few miles, you're usually just outside the park
        > boundary where you CAN camp wherever you want to...even hanging from
        > trees.
        >
        > Some of the parks have designated hike-in sites. These are often
        > not checked, and if they are the rangers can be lenient if you're
        > using tree huggers or webbing. Their concern is protecting the
        > trees. Well, I hear some of them are concerned with power
        > and "enforcing the rules" over common sense, but I've yet to meet
        > one like that.
        >
        > If you do go to those parks, check the regulations (or ask a
        > ranger), or bring along a hammock stand if you're car camping.

      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
          In my personal opinion, what is more important is what will happen if
          someone finds you where some rule or other states you shouldn't be. In
          Germany, camping rules are difficult to even ascertain. My solution has
          been to stay away from what is clearly private property, and to
          practice Leave No Trace (including visual Leave No Trace, sometimes
          called camouflage). When I hang my bark-brown hammock in a convenient
          fold in the landscape, I'm effectively gone from sight even in
          daylight - after dusk, you'd literally have to stumble against my
          hammock to notice me. As I like to hang 30 to 50 yards (sometimes a
          little more) off the trail, that seems exceedingly unlikely (and has
          never happened).
          If found by a person that believes to have reason to tell me that what
          I'm doing is illegal, I'll apologize politely, point out that I took
          extreme care not to damage anything (tree huggers etc.) without trying
          to thereby tell him (invariably a male) that he's wrong, tell him again
          that I'm sorry and just didn't know and vacate the position. What's
          wrong with a little night hike now and then?
          As long as I don't get fined (or worse) for what I'm doing, it's good
          enough for me to observe the point of the regulations. I'll be the
          first to admit that being so selective about rules is quite iffy
          (especially coming from a lawyer), but as long as I am certain that I
          do no harm to anyone, I think I'll just try it out.
          And honestly, as long as we don't do fool stunts like lighting open
          fire in the woods or such, hanging off the trail in a hammock in a
          subdued colour means we need never have that kind of conversation in
          the first place.

          André

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...> wrote:
          > Just got my first hammock, a Hennessy Expedition Ultralight
          > A-Sym.
          >
          > Talking to a 'buddie' of mine about it, he tells me it's
          > 'against the law' to tie hammocks to trees in Michigan
          > state parks and other places up there. (I'm in Ohio).
          >
          > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
          > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
          >
          > what say ye?
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
            <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:
            > hanging off the trail in a hammock in a
            > subdued colour means we need never have that kind of conversation in
            > the first place.

            Preach on, brother!
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
              Excellent idea Ralph! We should ALL be concerned about damaging trees, no
              matter where they are, State Parks or elsewhere. Using a few dead sticks
              from the ground is just SMART. Even webbing users could help set a good
              example by doing the same...Ed

              Moderator, Hammock Camping List

              Editor, Hammock Camping News

              Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

              _____

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                Well said Andre. The subtitle of my book includes the words ‘Convenience &
                Freedom’ and part of that is the ability to camp in undesignated places like
                you describe. But as hammock campers, we should all be aware that we are
                setting an example for those who will follow. As you suggest, Leave No
                Trace techniques and personal integrity will go a long way setting the
                proper example….Ed

                Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                Editor, Hammock Camping News

                Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                _____

                In my personal opinion, what is more important is what will happen if
                someone finds you where some rule or other states you shouldn't be. In
                Germany, camping rules are difficult to even ascertain. My solution has
                been to stay away from what is clearly private property, and to
                practice Leave No Trace (including visual Leave No Trace, sometimes
                called camouflage). When I hang my bark-brown hammock in a convenient
                fold in the landscape, I'm effectively gone from sight even in
                daylight - after dusk, you'd literally have to stumble against my
                hammock to notice me. As I like to hang 30 to 50 yards (sometimes a
                little more) off the trail, that seems exceedingly unlikely (and has
                never happened).
                If found by a person that believes to have reason to tell me that what
                I'm doing is illegal, I'll apologize politely, point out that I took
                extreme care not to damage anything (tree huggers etc.) without trying
                to thereby tell him (invariably a male) that he's wrong, tell him again
                that I'm sorry and just didn't know and vacate the position. What's
                wrong with a little night hike now and then?
                As long as I don't get fined (or worse) for what I'm doing, it's good
                enough for me to observe the point of the regulations. I'll be the
                first to admit that being so selective about rules is quite iffy
                (especially coming from a lawyer), but as long as I am certain that I
                do no harm to anyone, I think I'll just try it out.
                And honestly, as long as we don't do fool stunts like lighting open
                fire in the woods or such, hanging off the trail in a hammock in a
                subdued colour means we need never have that kind of conversation in
                the first place.

                André

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...> wrote:
                > Just got my first hammock, a Hennessy Expedition Ultralight
                > A-Sym.
                >
                > Talking to a 'buddie' of mine about it, he tells me it's
                > 'against the law' to tie hammocks to trees in Michigan
                > state parks and other places up there. (I'm in Ohio).
                >
                > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
                > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
                >
                > what say ye?

                _____

              • Rosaleen Sullivan
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Ralph-

                  When were you hassled about hammocking in Yellowstone? I asked Xanterra reservations for the campgrounds that accepted reservations about hammocks and tieing to trees. No one there knew of an issue, AND, no park people hassled us about the hammocks. We moved around a lot during a week there, sightseeing in one area, then moving to another. We stayed at Bridge Bay, Grant, Norris, Madison (IIRC, and that may have been our one miserable night in a tent), Canyon, and Pebble Creek. We also spent a night in Grand Teton, Fremont Lake Forest Service Campground, and in Buffalo Bill Cody State Park, hammocking with no hassles. This was last summer, 2004. Maybe some enlightenment is creeping into places?

                  Rosaleen

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                    I've used a stick to help untie my hennessy knot. it helps keep the
                    knot away from the tree. this was on a big tree where the huger didnt
                    reach all the way around. I put a 2 in dia stick and tied the knot
                    right beside it.

                    Coy Boy (nowhere neer smart as ralph, seriously! but I do spell better)