Re: [Hammock Camping] modified hensley?

  • Bruce W. Calkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
      NO, this is not a good idea.
      The Hennessy Hammock is a integral design and depends on the netting for
      structural shape and probably strength too.

      Bruce W. (Black Wolfe)

      > like the way the HH lays, but wish it had a removeable bug net
      > we were considering cutting the net

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce W. Calkins"
        <blackwolfe@b...> wrote:
        > NO, this is not a good idea.
        > The Hennessy Hammock is a integral design and depends on the
        netting for
        > structural shape and probably strength too.

        I have the BP A-sym, and the netting doesn't support ANY weight from
        the hammock. The netting lays loosely on top of the ridgeline and
        doesn't have any stress on it when occupied.

        I'd do a zipper instead of velcro, though. Taking up 1/4" seam
        allowance, plus 1/2" for the velcro, equals 3/4" on each side,
        meaning you're "shortening" the material by ~1.5" all the way
        around. That might add some strain to the netting, or cause your
        velcro to separate when you change positions in the hammock. Using
        a zipper will add back the space you take out with seam allowances,
        so the dimensions will stay roughly the same.

        That's all conjecture, really...it might work just fine with
        Velcro. Try it and let us know! You can always take off the Velcro
        and add in a zipper if it doesn't work.

        Like was said earlier, check Brian from Tampa's pictures of his
        zipper mod.