Sewing tips for ripstop nylon?

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      I recently located an old sewing machine (Elna #1, aka grasshopper)
      and sewed silicon coated ripstop nylon for the first time last night.
      I made a 6'x9' tarp with some additional material renforcing the
      corners, but the stiching was somewhat irregular. I eventually got a
      better looking stitch when I helped pull it through the machine (a
      little) rather than risisting the pull (a little) as I had done
      practicing on some thicker fabric.

      Anybody have any tips? Right now the correct needle size, cutting the
      material straight, and holding the material together along the
      intended seam is a bit of a mystery to me.
    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        Ray, you are several steps ahead of me when it comes to making tings, but i seem to be a step ahead in the research department.

        take a look here

        http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips.htm

        I was in contact with Penny over a year ago - did not occur to me until after I made my early post today... - She was extremely helpful and friendly.

        Good luck and let us all know how things turn out

        Robi

        At 06:01 PM 4/1/03 +0000, you wrote:
        I recently  located an old  sewing machine (Elna #1, aka grasshopper)
        and sewed silicon coated ripstop nylon for the first time last night.
        I made a 6'x9' tarp with some additional material renforcing the
        corners, but the stiching was somewhat irregular.  I eventually got a
        better looking stitch when I helped pull it through the machine (a
        little) rather than risisting the pull (a little) as I had done
        practicing on some thicker fabric.

        Anybody have any tips?  Right now the correct needle size, cutting the
        material straight, and holding the material together along the
        intended seam is a bit of a mystery to me.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        18544d.jpg
        185606.jpg

      • robi dawson
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
          Ray,

          I am getting all excited over this sewing stuff... look what I found

          http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html

          does this info help?

          now if I could just get my cob oven built so I have time to mess around
          with sewing

          robi
        • geoflyfisher
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
            Hi Ray,

            I presume you are talking about silnylon aka silicon impregnated
            nylon.

            I find that the material is fairly slippery and occasionally need to
            help the sewing machine to pull it through by holding the seam in
            front of and behind the sewing machine foot and pulling it (a little)
            in the right direction. In general, it goes pretty well.

            Tips I would mention:

            Don't use cotton coated thread. Though there is some disagreement,
            most sources say that all polyester thread works better to avoid the
            rot that will affect the cotton. Advantage is that the all polyester
            thread is normally cheaper (50 cents for 500 yards at Walmart or
            Meijers) Disadvantage is that it is usually only available in black
            or tan or sometimes white.

            Use a smallish needle, brand new, and expect to occasionally replace
            it - expecially when sewing velcro or whenever you hit a pin.

            I would cut the material by marking it with a micro sharpie marker
            according to a set of directions or a pattern. Then cut along the
            marking. For silnylon, just cut with a pair of scisors... it does
            not fray. For ripstop, cut with a cheap steak knife heated to red
            hot an inch from it's end by a propane torch. You can get about a
            yard of material cut before heating for 30 seconds again.

            Hold the material together with pins, and then treat the seam with
            clear silicone calking thinned with paint thinner (jardine says
            gasoline) and painted on with a one inch brush. This will not only
            seal the needle holes from sewing but also the needle holes from
            pinning.

            Hope this helps.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 21, 2003
              Hi Everybody,

              I seem to remember a thread/post not too long ago with info on sewing a
              hammock, i seem to remember the price being sg like 50 bucks...

              anybody know what I post that was?

              BTW, one thing has not become clear to me yet if I were to go ahead and buy
              a hammock or kit what would be the advantageous of a HH or Speer over a
              say, Bana, that Bana is by far the cheapest and I recall some here saying
              they do use them...

              This is all relevant because i still have not found good material here in
              Budapest, so i will have to order over the Net either materials or
              kit/completed hammocks,, oh yeah, if i go the make from scratch route,
              where should i look for materials, any personal favs?

              i am heavy in the 220 - 230 range and will need a tarp as well as hammock.

              thanks again in advance for the tips/help

              robi
            • Stephen T. Gregorie
              Message 6 of 7 , May 21, 2003
                for material check out this site:
                http://www.owfinc.com/

                http://search.yahoo.com
              • karens62@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , May 21, 2003
                  Another great source for materials is

                  http://www.questoutfitters.com/

                  The folks at quest are wonderful. Kay will spend as much time as needed to make sure you have everything you could possibly need. She will also make suggestions if you know what you want to make but aren't sure what the best way to attack the project would be.

                  I recently ordered 30 yards of webbing from her when I meant to order 30 feet. She realized my mistake and called me back to doublecheck before she did up my order. With service like that, she has made me a repeat customer many times over.

                  POG