Re: modified hensley?

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
      I do not recall aver seeing anyone use velcro on the bug net but, if
      you look in the Brian From Tampa photo album in the HH modifications
      folder you will see the cool way he added zippers to the HH bug net.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > a friend recently bought 2 hammocks, a HH ultralight, & a speer.
      he
      > (& i also) like the way the HH lays, but wish it had a removeable
      bug
      > net like the speer. we were considering cutting the net just above
      the
      > hammock seam & adding velcro to hammock & net, or using a larger net
      > that would hang over the sides. any thoughts? thanks...slowhike
    • BRIAN
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2005
        wrote:

        > a friend recently bought 2 hammocks, a HH ultralight, & a speer.
        he
        > (& i also) like the way the HH lays, but wish it had a removeable
        bug
        > net like the speer. we were considering cutting the net just above
        the
        > hammock seam & adding velcro to hammock & net, or using a larger
        net
        > that would hang over the sides. any thoughts? thanks...slowhike

        Slowhike:

        I too took the plunge and modified my HH.

        I found that the attached bug net caused me to have to bend over too
        far (causing pain) to exit through the bottom slit, maybe I'm too
        tall. I removed the net and now use it as a top entry hammock or
        bottom entry without the hindrance of the netting. Next I got rid of
        the side tie outs and used three poles from my tarptent to hold the
        hammock open. This allows me to rock to sleep and also to remove
        the poles and use a peapod for warmth. I am also going to attach
        netting around the perimeter of the hammock that drapes to the
        ground and forms a small screen room underneath. This allows me to
        bathe and cook/eat bug free and climb up through the bottom slit to
        retire for the night. This is really helpful when I am canoeing as
        some of the islands I camp on are shaded enough to have mosquitoes
        out and about all day long. Finally I have removed all but the first
        loop of rope and replaced it with poly webbing. This has nothing to
        do with my back just makes set up easier for me. I use this setup
        only when canoeing during mosquito season, as it is much heavier
        than my homemade version. So far I have found no need to remove the
        ridgeline but I would not hesitate to do so if it gave me an
        advantage in the way I use the hammock. Thanks for inspiring me to
        take on this project.

        T-BACK
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 23, 2005
          t- back... i sugested that my friend w/ the now modified HH replace the rope w/ webbing like you did. i think it makes set-up a little simpler too. i`m not following you on the 3 poles replacing the side tye-outs to hold the hammock open though. sounds interresting. mabey you can draw me a better picture:~} thanks...slowhike

          BRIAN <opnheartscrub@...> wrote:--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
          wrote:

          > a friend recently bought 2 hammocks, a HH ultralight, & a speer.
          he
          > (& i also) like the way the HH lays, but wish it had a removeable
          bug
          > net like the speer. we were considering cutting the net just above
          the
          > hammock seam & adding velcro to hammock & net, or using a larger
          net
          > that would hang over the sides. any thoughts? thanks...slowhike

          Slowhike:

          I too took the plunge and modified my HH.

          I found that the attached bug net caused me to have to bend over too
          far (causing pain) to exit through the bottom slit, maybe I'm too
          tall. I removed the net and now use it as a top entry hammock or
          bottom entry without the hindrance of the netting. Next I got rid of
          the side tie outs and used three poles from my tarptent to hold the
          hammock open. This allows me to rock to sleep and also to remove
          the poles and use a peapod for warmth. I am also going to attach
          netting around the perimeter of the hammock that drapes to the
          ground and forms a small screen room underneath. This allows me to
          bathe and cook/eat bug free and climb up through the bottom slit to
          retire for the night. This is really helpful when I am canoeing as
          some of the islands I camp on are shaded enough to have mosquitoes
          out and about all day long. Finally I have removed all but the first
          loop of rope and replaced it with poly webbing. This has nothing to
          do with my back just makes set up easier for me. I use this setup
          only when canoeing during mosquito season, as it is much heavier
          than my homemade version. So far I have found no need to remove the
          ridgeline but I would not hesitate to do so if it gave me an
          advantage in the way I use the hammock. Thanks for inspiring me to
          take on this project.

          T-BACK

          tim garner

        • BRIAN
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 24, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
            wrote:
            i`m not following you on the 3 poles replacing the side tye-outs to
            hold the hammock open though. sounds interresting. mabey you can draw
            me a better picture:~} thanks...slowhike

            Slowhike:

            Sorry I should have been more clear. It's one pole that breaks down
            into three pieces. It slides into the "pockets" formed inside where
            the tie-outs are located. Pictures are coming soon.

            T-BACK