Re: southern AT in the winter

  • AndrĂ© Corterier
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
      One word of caution (well, two): The first: I don't have firsthand
      experience with the peapod, so you may wish to confirm this with the
      many folks here who do;
      the second: it is my understanding that the solution to cold getting
      between you and the peapod isn't an extra pad, but to snug the peapod
      up against you. If you allow cold to get between you and the peapod,
      you're reducing the peapod's effectiveness to near zero. That may be
      desirable when it's warmer, but if it's cold, all that insulation will
      help you only if you prevent convection from occuring inside the
      insulated area. Sure, the peapod likely prevents sideways air movement,
      but you will still lose a lot of warm air through the openeing. Thus,
      if you sleep on a pad, underneath which there is a layer of cold air
      before the peapod starts, you're really just using the pad. I would
      suggest first trying to have the peapod hug the hammock, then add a pad
      if that's not sufficient.

      Peapod users, would that seem to be a correct assessment or do I need
      to stop talking about things I don't know much about?

      André
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "o123david" <o123david@y...>
      wrote:
      > Next winter I will try a down blanket and peapod and sleep on a pad to
      > block the cold that can get between hammock and peapod.
      <snip>