modified hensley?

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
      a friend recently bought 2 hammocks, a HH ultralight, & a speer. he
      (& i also) like the way the HH lays, but wish it had a removeable bug
      net like the speer. we were considering cutting the net just above the
      hammock seam & adding velcro to hammock & net, or using a larger net
      that would hang over the sides. any thoughts? thanks...slowhike
    • Rat
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
        I do not recall aver seeing anyone use velcro on the bug net but, if
        you look in the Brian From Tampa photo album in the HH modifications
        folder you will see the cool way he added zippers to the HH bug net.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:
        > a friend recently bought 2 hammocks, a HH ultralight, & a speer.
        he
        > (& i also) like the way the HH lays, but wish it had a removeable
        bug
        > net like the speer. we were considering cutting the net just above
        the
        > hammock seam & adding velcro to hammock & net, or using a larger net
        > that would hang over the sides. any thoughts? thanks...slowhike
      • BRIAN
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2005
          wrote:

          > a friend recently bought 2 hammocks, a HH ultralight, & a speer.
          he
          > (& i also) like the way the HH lays, but wish it had a removeable
          bug
          > net like the speer. we were considering cutting the net just above
          the
          > hammock seam & adding velcro to hammock & net, or using a larger
          net
          > that would hang over the sides. any thoughts? thanks...slowhike

          Slowhike:

          I too took the plunge and modified my HH.

          I found that the attached bug net caused me to have to bend over too
          far (causing pain) to exit through the bottom slit, maybe I'm too
          tall. I removed the net and now use it as a top entry hammock or
          bottom entry without the hindrance of the netting. Next I got rid of
          the side tie outs and used three poles from my tarptent to hold the
          hammock open. This allows me to rock to sleep and also to remove
          the poles and use a peapod for warmth. I am also going to attach
          netting around the perimeter of the hammock that drapes to the
          ground and forms a small screen room underneath. This allows me to
          bathe and cook/eat bug free and climb up through the bottom slit to
          retire for the night. This is really helpful when I am canoeing as
          some of the islands I camp on are shaded enough to have mosquitoes
          out and about all day long. Finally I have removed all but the first
          loop of rope and replaced it with poly webbing. This has nothing to
          do with my back just makes set up easier for me. I use this setup
          only when canoeing during mosquito season, as it is much heavier
          than my homemade version. So far I have found no need to remove the
          ridgeline but I would not hesitate to do so if it gave me an
          advantage in the way I use the hammock. Thanks for inspiring me to
          take on this project.

          T-BACK
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 23, 2005
            t- back... i sugested that my friend w/ the now modified HH replace the rope w/ webbing like you did. i think it makes set-up a little simpler too. i`m not following you on the 3 poles replacing the side tye-outs to hold the hammock open though. sounds interresting. mabey you can draw me a better picture:~} thanks...slowhike

            BRIAN <opnheartscrub@...> wrote:--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
            wrote:

            > a friend recently bought 2 hammocks, a HH ultralight, & a speer.
            he
            > (& i also) like the way the HH lays, but wish it had a removeable
            bug
            > net like the speer. we were considering cutting the net just above
            the
            > hammock seam & adding velcro to hammock & net, or using a larger
            net
            > that would hang over the sides. any thoughts? thanks...slowhike

            Slowhike:

            I too took the plunge and modified my HH.

            I found that the attached bug net caused me to have to bend over too
            far (causing pain) to exit through the bottom slit, maybe I'm too
            tall. I removed the net and now use it as a top entry hammock or
            bottom entry without the hindrance of the netting. Next I got rid of
            the side tie outs and used three poles from my tarptent to hold the
            hammock open. This allows me to rock to sleep and also to remove
            the poles and use a peapod for warmth. I am also going to attach
            netting around the perimeter of the hammock that drapes to the
            ground and forms a small screen room underneath. This allows me to
            bathe and cook/eat bug free and climb up through the bottom slit to
            retire for the night. This is really helpful when I am canoeing as
            some of the islands I camp on are shaded enough to have mosquitoes
            out and about all day long. Finally I have removed all but the first
            loop of rope and replaced it with poly webbing. This has nothing to
            do with my back just makes set up easier for me. I use this setup
            only when canoeing during mosquito season, as it is much heavier
            than my homemade version. So far I have found no need to remove the
            ridgeline but I would not hesitate to do so if it gave me an
            advantage in the way I use the hammock. Thanks for inspiring me to
            take on this project.

            T-BACK

            tim garner

          • BRIAN
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 24, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
              wrote:
              i`m not following you on the 3 poles replacing the side tye-outs to
              hold the hammock open though. sounds interresting. mabey you can draw
              me a better picture:~} thanks...slowhike

              Slowhike:

              Sorry I should have been more clear. It's one pole that breaks down
              into three pieces. It slides into the "pockets" formed inside where
              the tie-outs are located. Pictures are coming soon.

              T-BACK