Re: Intro -- a total novice with questions

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "shy_in_sunnyvale" <mql@m...>
      wrote:
      > First, it's been really hard to find photos of users lying on their
      > sides in the hammocks.
      > The notable exception is the Speer hammocks page (thanks!). Although
      > it looks
      > comfortable, it also looks claustrophobic! I don't expect the
      > spaciousness of a tent, but
      > could someone comment on that aspect? Are some hammocks roomier than
      > others? From
      > the outside, it looks like a Hennessy hammock may not gather up
      > around the occupant so
      > much.

      The HH asym models have extra fabric at the feet and head to allow
      you to more easily sleep off-axis, which means flatter.

      The Hennessey also has elastic tie-outs on the side that attach to
      the same stakes that you put out for the canopy. They pull the
      hammock apart and give it a more open feeling. But you're still
      sleeping in a sewn-in enclosure, which might bother sensitive
      individuals.

      I notice the closed-in feeling most when using the fly. Just replace
      it with a larger one that hangs up higher, like Ed Speer recommends.
      You could also make your own hammock with a free-hanging bug net--no
      velcro, you just sweep the thing aside when you get out.

      Doug Frost