RE: [Hammock Camping] Intro -- a total novice with questions

  • Steve Joiner
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi, May. While I was happy to see that REI began carrying a few camping
      hammocks a while ago, I think they stink at marketing them and understanding
      how to sell them. Local stores here (Atlanta, GA) do carry them - but they
      have nowhere to hang or demonstrate them - and I haven't yet found a store
      associate that has slept in a hammock.....

      That said, If you're interested in a Hennessey, order one from them on-line
      and have it delivered to your closest REI - no shipping charges to you. Try
      it out and if you don't like it, use their 'no questions asked' return
      policy and give it back to them!

      Now, if they'll only expand their product line and offer Speer, Jacks r
      Better, and other products!

      Steve
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "shy_in_sunnyvale" <mql@m...>
        wrote:
        > First, it's been really hard to find photos of users lying on their
        > sides in the hammocks.
        > The notable exception is the Speer hammocks page (thanks!). Although
        > it looks
        > comfortable, it also looks claustrophobic! I don't expect the
        > spaciousness of a tent, but
        > could someone comment on that aspect? Are some hammocks roomier than
        > others? From
        > the outside, it looks like a Hennessy hammock may not gather up
        > around the occupant so
        > much.

        The HH asym models have extra fabric at the feet and head to allow
        you to more easily sleep off-axis, which means flatter.

        The Hennessey also has elastic tie-outs on the side that attach to
        the same stakes that you put out for the canopy. They pull the
        hammock apart and give it a more open feeling. But you're still
        sleeping in a sewn-in enclosure, which might bother sensitive
        individuals.

        I notice the closed-in feeling most when using the fly. Just replace
        it with a larger one that hangs up higher, like Ed Speer recommends.
        You could also make your own hammock with a free-hanging bug net--no
        velcro, you just sweep the thing aside when you get out.

        Doug Frost