technical terminology, materials in hammocks

  • robi dawson
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi Everybody,

      Spring is here, we are setting our agendas for camping trips, biking trips,
      canoe trips etc.

      just the kind of trips to finally starting hammock camping on.

      Do to various reasons, I want to make my own gear, 1. i like making things,
      2. it could be cheaper, 3. it certainly is more fun than buying.

      I have looked around the Net, been reading these posts for a few weeks now,
      been told about the Speer book... this is all fine, however, i have a
      problem with terminology.

      is there a Site out there that gives really easy to understand defs.
      examples of all the various materials,

      rip-stop nyilon
      silnylon
      cordura - ok more for back packs I know...
      the list goes on, but these are the three that come to mind.

      The reason I need to know is I have not had much luck finding this stuff
      for sale here in Hungary. That means either it is not available or it comes
      under a different name here... so I am on the quest to find local sources
      of material but need to know the specs of the stuff to figure out what it
      is called in Hungarian or to explain to the folks in the shops who can help
      me....

      If all else fails I will buy on line, so the question arises, where to buy
      cool modern ultra lite, ultra strong materials?
    • geoflyfisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
        Robi,

        I am always glad to see someone learning how to sew their own gear.
        Sorry to say I don't know enough Hungarian to find the toilet, much
        less technical language to help you... so the following is in english
        and perhaps will help you in a fabric store.

        Ripstop nylon is a woven fabric of nylon that has thicker thread
        about every half centimeter or so in both thread directions... it
        ends up looking like there is a net of squares imbedded into the
        background material. It is often used for parachute material. It is
        breathable material, and if you put your lips up to the material, you
        can suck air through it. For hammock making, you do not need the
        lightest ripstop. Using US measures, the lightest ripstop weighs 1.1
        oz per square yard. What you are looking for is one grade heavier
        (and by far the most common) at 1.9 oz per square yard.

        silnylon starts out as 1.1 (or 1.3) oz ripstop, but is impregnated
        with silicone so it ends up weighing about 1.5 oz per square yard.
        This is really waterproof stuff which is quite slippery. It makes
        wonderful material for lots of waterproof application.

        Cordura nylon is a heavy version of woven nylon threads. It is often
        done as a "basket weave" material... that is fairly corse threads to
        make up a material which is much heavier... like the material that
        modern cloth suitcases are made from.

        All this stuff is available mail order here in the states. I presume
        once you figure out the right words it is available worldwide. It is
        not commonly found in neighborhood cloth merchants - with the
        possible exception of simple 1.9 oz ripstop. Certainly I have never
        seen either no-see-up netting or silnylon in a sewing hobby store.

        I hope this helps.

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Everybody,
        >
        > Spring is here, we are setting our agendas for camping trips,
        biking trips,
        > canoe trips etc.
        >
        > just the kind of trips to finally starting hammock camping on.
        >
        > Do to various reasons, I want to make my own gear, 1. i like making
        things,
        > 2. it could be cheaper, 3. it certainly is more fun than buying.
        >
        > I have looked around the Net, been reading these posts for a few
        weeks now,
        > been told about the Speer book... this is all fine, however, i have
        > problem with terminology.
        >
        > is there a Site out there that gives really easy to understand
        defs.
        > examples of all the various materials,
        >
        > rip-stop nyilon
        > silnylon
        > cordura - ok more for back packs I know...
        > the list goes on, but these are the three that come to mind.
        >
        > The reason I need to know is I have not had much luck finding this
        stuff
        > for sale here in Hungary. That means either it is not available or
        it comes
        > under a different name here... so I am on the quest to find local
        sources
        > of material but need to know the specs of the stuff to figure out
        what it
        > is called in Hungarian or to explain to the folks in the shops who
        can help
        > me....
        >
        > If all else fails I will buy on line, so the question arises, where
        to buy
        > cool modern ultra lite, ultra strong materials?
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
          1. Select the proper site. The best location is on the back side of
          a hill, preferably in a draw with some vegetation in the direction of
          the wind to help wind block, get the wind to hit at an angle to the
          side, with the foot downwind. Jardine talks about katabatic air, the
          zone of cold air in vallies. He says this zone can be as great as
          100ft deep. Make sure you are above it.

          2.Choose your warmest sleeping bag, have enough extra clothes to add
          warmth. Don't forget a hat or even better a balaclava.

          3. Use the car reflector pad system as described by Sgt Rock here
          http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock2.html#Tip 4 Most dept stores are
          out of car reflectors this time of the year but most auto parts
          stores will have them in stock.

          4. Hey it could be colder you are in NC after all, in Pa we still
          have snow on the ground and it was 12 last night.
        • uluheman
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
            I haven't seen anyone mention my favorite sewing aid: the walking
            foot. It's a small, expensive gizmo that may or may not be available
            as an accessory for your particular sewing machine. It replaces the
            usual presser foot and serves as a set of upper feed dogs, exactly
            synchronized to the lower feed dogs (which are the only ones most
            people ever use). Because silnylon is so slick, the lower feed dogs
            may feed the lower piece of fabric, but slippage may (will!) occur
            between the lower and upper pieces of fabric you're trying to sew,
            which causes plenty of problems. With a walking foot, you should get
            nice and even stitches because the walking foot is feeding the upper
            piece of fabric at the same rate as the lower piece, minimizing
            slippage between the two pieces. No need to pull the fabric through
            manually, either; just let the machine do the work at it's own pace,
            as it was designed to do.

            Brandon in Honolulu

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher"

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2003
              Message
              Thanks for the sewing tip Brandon--the walking foot sounds promissing.  I have no experience with one, but would love to hear from anyone else who does.  Any idea where to get one Brandon?  ..Ed

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2003
                Ed--

                The walking foot is manufactured as an accessory for your machine,
                maybe even your model. I'm pretty sure there won't be any generic
                devices available. If you have a Bernina, check with your Bernina
                dealer. If you have a Viking, check with Viking. Etc. I know both of
                those manufacturers offer them because I checked when we bought a new
                machine a few years ago. I'm just guessing, but it may be that
                walking feet are simply not available for certain (less expensive?)
                machines.

                Brandon in Honolulu

                > Thanks for the sewing tip Brandon--the walking foot sounds
                promissing.
                > I have no experience with one, but would love to hear from anyone
                else
                > who does. Any idea where to get one Brandon? ..Ed

                terms/> .
              • Shane
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2003
                  > Thanks for the sewing tip Brandon--the walking foot sounds
                  > promissing. I have no experience with one, but would love to
                  > hear from anyone else who does. Any idea where to get one
                  > Brandon? ..Ed

                  All of the Adler machines I worked on had them. These were 'long arm patch'
                  machines specifically designed for leatherwork. They worked well in nylon
                  of any gauge. Tippman is also making a pneumatic machine that has a lot of
                  promise.

                  Shane