Sleeping Pad Extenders

  • Theresa Frye
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      I went out over Memorial Day weekend using a Hennessy Hammock. It is
      not mine, but I have used it on many trips at this point. After this
      weekend I will be buying my own.

      I made my own version of the "extender" that Ed had at Trail Days, the
      silnylon sleeve that holds a sleeping pad, and has a section to slide in
      "wings" on either side. My wings were 6 inches wide and 20 inches long
      and made of blue foam (ensolite) and I used my Ridgerest as my main pad.
      I put silicone marks on the back to keep it from slipping and sliding.
      It worked really, really well. Without the Rigdgerest (so just my wings
      and nylon) it weighed 3.8 oz.

      This was the most comfortable I have been in the hammock, cause I could
      roll a bit and not have a shoulder hit the uninsulated bit of hammock
      and get cold. I think for colder use I might even make it with longer wings.

      Thanks to Ed for showing that at Trail Days.

      Tunes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        Glad the pad extender worked for you Tunes. The only difference is we make
        ours out of breathable 1.1 oz/yd2 ripstop nylon, not silnylon. They are
        extremely convenient since the wing segments wrap around the curved sides of
        the hammock and give you that much needed side shoulder protection. They
        are selling fast, but we'll have some at the Hot Springs campout weekend
        after next....Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc