RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: southern AT in the winter

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      David/Karen, I'd only add that the PeaPod can be easily adjusted to control
      how much warmth is need at any given time. I often start the night with it
      open on top and loose underneath, then progressively close it up over the
      course of the night as the temperature drops. The PeaPod can be closed snug
      around you & the hammock, or loose with open space between hammock & PeaPod.
      When adjusted loose, extra insulation can be added between the hammock &
      PeaPod for extremely cold weather..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
        One word of caution (well, two): The first: I don't have firsthand
        experience with the peapod, so you may wish to confirm this with the
        many folks here who do;
        the second: it is my understanding that the solution to cold getting
        between you and the peapod isn't an extra pad, but to snug the peapod
        up against you. If you allow cold to get between you and the peapod,
        you're reducing the peapod's effectiveness to near zero. That may be
        desirable when it's warmer, but if it's cold, all that insulation will
        help you only if you prevent convection from occuring inside the
        insulated area. Sure, the peapod likely prevents sideways air movement,
        but you will still lose a lot of warm air through the openeing. Thus,
        if you sleep on a pad, underneath which there is a layer of cold air
        before the peapod starts, you're really just using the pad. I would
        suggest first trying to have the peapod hug the hammock, then add a pad
        if that's not sufficient.

        Peapod users, would that seem to be a correct assessment or do I need
        to stop talking about things I don't know much about?

        André
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "o123david" <o123david@y...>
        wrote:
        > Next winter I will try a down blanket and peapod and sleep on a pad to
        > block the cold that can get between hammock and peapod.
        <snip>