RE: [Hammock Camping] SPE and condensation

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      Becki, the Segmented Pad Extenders are so new they haven't made it to the
      testers yet-anyone with BGT wishing to be a tester should contact Rick. My
      experience finds no problem with condensation; however I am a
      low-perspiration body type in the first place. The SPEs are made with
      breathable 1.1 ripstop nylon, which probably helps absorb a bit of moisture,
      so the problem should not be any worse than bare foam pads alone. For cold
      weather when I use the SPE, I always wear wicking long johns, which also
      helps keep moisture away from my skin. If sweating is a problem, maybe you
      could try switching to less insulation, such as a thinner sleeping pad?

      BTY, in the hot humid jungles of South America, even a low-perspiration body
      has problems, and I also wore light weight wicking long johns when sleeping
      in regular beds-the wicking fabric kept me drier by moving the condensation
      away from my skin. By morning, the mattress would be soaked, but I was
      comfortable. As soon as I got up and started to move about, the long johns
      had to come off...Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc