Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: southern AT in the winter

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      David,

      The peapod fastens to itself at the top of the hammock. This allows you to totally be enclosed in the peapod while still not compressing the insulation. The velcro on the hammock itself is used for the bugnet; if you have to close the peapod all the way up, you probably don't need the bugnet at all!

      Karen

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        David/Karen, I'd only add that the PeaPod can be easily adjusted to control
        how much warmth is need at any given time. I often start the night with it
        open on top and loose underneath, then progressively close it up over the
        course of the night as the temperature drops. The PeaPod can be closed snug
        around you & the hammock, or loose with open space between hammock & PeaPod.
        When adjusted loose, extra insulation can be added between the hammock &
        PeaPod for extremely cold weather..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
          One word of caution (well, two): The first: I don't have firsthand
          experience with the peapod, so you may wish to confirm this with the
          many folks here who do;
          the second: it is my understanding that the solution to cold getting
          between you and the peapod isn't an extra pad, but to snug the peapod
          up against you. If you allow cold to get between you and the peapod,
          you're reducing the peapod's effectiveness to near zero. That may be
          desirable when it's warmer, but if it's cold, all that insulation will
          help you only if you prevent convection from occuring inside the
          insulated area. Sure, the peapod likely prevents sideways air movement,
          but you will still lose a lot of warm air through the openeing. Thus,
          if you sleep on a pad, underneath which there is a layer of cold air
          before the peapod starts, you're really just using the pad. I would
          suggest first trying to have the peapod hug the hammock, then add a pad
          if that's not sufficient.

          Peapod users, would that seem to be a correct assessment or do I need
          to stop talking about things I don't know much about?

          André
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "o123david" <o123david@y...>
          wrote:
          > Next winter I will try a down blanket and peapod and sleep on a pad to
          > block the cold that can get between hammock and peapod.
          <snip>