Re: southern AT in the winter

  • o123david
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      Next winter I will try a down blanket and peapod and sleep on a pad to
      block the cold that can get between hammock and peapod.
      There is one thing I do not understand about the peapod. Does it
      attach to the Speer hammock with velcro? Is it held against the bottom
      of the hammock in this way?
      Thanks a lot for the recommendation of the Psolar mask and the vapor
      shield that comes with it. It should be a lot better than the polartec
      balaclava that I usually sleep in and I look forward to finally being
      able to keep my nose warm when hiking.
      Thanks for your help. --David
    • karens62@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        David,

        The peapod fastens to itself at the top of the hammock. This allows you to totally be enclosed in the peapod while still not compressing the insulation. The velcro on the hammock itself is used for the bugnet; if you have to close the peapod all the way up, you probably don't need the bugnet at all!

        Karen

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
          David/Karen, I'd only add that the PeaPod can be easily adjusted to control
          how much warmth is need at any given time. I often start the night with it
          open on top and loose underneath, then progressively close it up over the
          course of the night as the temperature drops. The PeaPod can be closed snug
          around you & the hammock, or loose with open space between hammock & PeaPod.
          When adjusted loose, extra insulation can be added between the hammock &
          PeaPod for extremely cold weather..Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
            One word of caution (well, two): The first: I don't have firsthand
            experience with the peapod, so you may wish to confirm this with the
            many folks here who do;
            the second: it is my understanding that the solution to cold getting
            between you and the peapod isn't an extra pad, but to snug the peapod
            up against you. If you allow cold to get between you and the peapod,
            you're reducing the peapod's effectiveness to near zero. That may be
            desirable when it's warmer, but if it's cold, all that insulation will
            help you only if you prevent convection from occuring inside the
            insulated area. Sure, the peapod likely prevents sideways air movement,
            but you will still lose a lot of warm air through the openeing. Thus,
            if you sleep on a pad, underneath which there is a layer of cold air
            before the peapod starts, you're really just using the pad. I would
            suggest first trying to have the peapod hug the hammock, then add a pad
            if that's not sufficient.

            Peapod users, would that seem to be a correct assessment or do I need
            to stop talking about things I don't know much about?

            André
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "o123david" <o123david@y...>
            wrote:
            > Next winter I will try a down blanket and peapod and sleep on a pad to
            > block the cold that can get between hammock and peapod.
            <snip>