SPE and condensation

  • LivNLrn3R@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi Ed,

      What has been the experience of the testers with the SPE used with foam pads?
      I'm wondering if the nylon "form" prevents the condensation problem.

      Thanks,
      Becki in CA

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        Becki, the Segmented Pad Extenders are so new they haven't made it to the
        testers yet-anyone with BGT wishing to be a tester should contact Rick. My
        experience finds no problem with condensation; however I am a
        low-perspiration body type in the first place. The SPEs are made with
        breathable 1.1 ripstop nylon, which probably helps absorb a bit of moisture,
        so the problem should not be any worse than bare foam pads alone. For cold
        weather when I use the SPE, I always wear wicking long johns, which also
        helps keep moisture away from my skin. If sweating is a problem, maybe you
        could try switching to less insulation, such as a thinner sleeping pad?

        BTY, in the hot humid jungles of South America, even a low-perspiration body
        has problems, and I also wore light weight wicking long johns when sleeping
        in regular beds-the wicking fabric kept me drier by moving the condensation
        away from my skin. By morning, the mattress would be soaked, but I was
        comfortable. As soon as I got up and started to move about, the long johns
        had to come off...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc