RE: [Hammock Camping] australian heritage fleet hammock

  • Dave Bellinski
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      Slowhike,

      I have the same questions regarding material to use. I was thinking of using
      silk, Cordura, or pack cloth. I used some Cordura when I built my pack, and
      it was difficult to rip out stiching in this material.

      Instead of rope edges, I was considering using 1" poly straps that would
      allow zig-zag stitching and bar tacking.

      I also thought of adding a bottom layer of 1.1 ripstop, to hold a pad.

      Any suggestions from experienced builders?

      Light'ning

      _____

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bellinski

        ****Wow, really strong. Kind of heavy...

        > Instead of rope edges, I was considering using 1" poly straps that
        would
        > allow zig-zag stitching and bar tacking.
        ****Sounds good to me. I think that your ability to attach the side
        ropes or webbing to the body fabric without creating highly stressed
        spots will be the determining factor in how thin you can go on the
        body material. Zig-zag sounds good, bartacks, maybe not.

        > I also thought of adding a bottom layer of 1.1 ripstop, to hold a
        pad.
        ****Definitely.

        ****I think that it will end up being pretty heavy and overly
        strong. But, if you ever do have to carry a dolphin in it...

        ****Bill in Houston