1,000 Hammock Campers!

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
      Did you notice? Our Hammock Camping-L has surpassed the 1,000
      mark! Yep, we now have 1,044 members online sharing and exchanging
      ideas! I started this List in late 2002 and couldn't be more
      pleased with the response. Actually, what I like the most is that
      the List runs itself and dosen't require massive amounts of my
      time. I attribute our success to: the growing popularity of hammock
      camping, the marvel of lightspead communication, and the self-
      moderating world-wide community of friendly hammock hangers.

      Of course most of the credit goes to you guys and I can't thank you
      enough. Everyone on the List contributes, including lurkers, first-
      time posters, repeat-posters, and active posters. I especially like
      the first-time stories, as well as the cold-weather gear
      experiments. A reflection of our community's willingness to share
      is shown by the experienced posters who respond to beginers
      questions. I'm a firm beliver that at some future date we will all
      look back on these beginings and proudly say "I was there."

      Two others help monitor this site and deserve special mention. With
      folks like Karen S. & Shane S., we're in good hands. We thank both
      of you.

      Now that summer has finally arrived, I hope each of you get to spend
      a significant part of it in a hammock. Remember our next Southeast
      Hammock Hanges Association hangout is June 10-12 at Hot Springs,
      NC. For more info:

      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/HotSpringsJun05.htm

      Hope to see ya there.....Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      Author, Hammock Camping book
      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletter
      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
        Your idea to create this list and your book have done more to increase
        the understanding of the use of hammocks than any other contribution.
        Thank You!

        Risk
        (Rick Allnutt)

        Ed Speer wrote:

        > Did you notice? Our Hammock Camping-L has surpassed the 1,000
        > mark! Yep, we now have 1,044 members online sharing and exchanging
        > ideas! I started this List in late 2002 and couldn't be more
        > pleased with the response. ....

      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
          Ed-

          Whenever I find myself on my "gotta try hammock camping" soapbox, my
          automatic top 2 recommendations are:

          1) Join the HammockCamping group on Yahoo;

          2) Buy Ed's book.

          Thank you for your efforts in both of these, which have sparked an
          incredible sharing of experiences and ideas that benefit us all.

          What I find most remarkable is how NICE the people that post on this
          group are, even with all the competing technologies and vendors. I see
          all kinds of nonsensical chest-beating on so many other groups, and
          this one has NONE of that. I think it's a result of the tone you set,
          so I'll thank you for that too.

          Jonas

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
            Thanks for the kind words Jonas. I’d like to think that hammocks just bring
            out the best in everyone…..OK, maybe I’m not that naïve! Maybe it’s just
            that we’ve all been fortunate to learn a great secret and we just can’t
            resist telling others! It certainly is fun—let’s keep it that way….Ed

            _____

            Whenever I find myself on my "gotta try hammock camping" soapbox, my
            automatic top 2 recommendations are:

            1) Join the HammockCamping group on Yahoo;

            2) Buy Ed's book.

            Thank you for your efforts in both of these, which have sparked an
            incredible sharing of experiences and ideas that benefit us all.

            What I find most remarkable is how NICE the people that post on this
            group are, even with all the competing technologies and vendors. I see
            all kinds of nonsensical chest-beating on so many other groups, and
            this one has NONE of that. I think it's a result of the tone you set,
            so I'll thank you for that too.

            Jonas

            > Did you notice? Our Hammock Camping-L has surpassed the 1,000
            > mark! Yep, we now have 1,044 members online sharing and exchanging
            > ideas! I started this List in late 2002 and couldn't be more
            > pleased with the response.

            _____

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
              > Thanks for the kind words Jonas. I'd like to think that hammocks just bring
              > out the best in everyone….Ed

              Nope, hammocks just bring out the best people.....

              Ralph