Re: Intro -- a total novice with questions

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "shy_in_sunnyvale" <mql@m...>

      http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCamping.html

      > it also looks claustrophobic!

      Less so than in a tent, for me. I can see the ground, I can see out
      the sides of the tent, I watch the rain fall and don't get wet, I
      look for wildlife, I don't fell closed-in like in a tent. That's in
      my homemade Speer w/o the bug net. Adding the bug net does close
      you in a little, but still less than a tent because you can see
      through the net and watch what's going on outside...a 360' view if
      you don't have your tarp pulled down to storm conditions.

      > Are some hammocks roomier than
      > others? From
      > the outside, it looks like a Hennessy hammock may not gather up
      > around the occupant so
      > much.

      Depends on what you mean by roomier. Henessey puts side tie-outs on
      his so the sides pull away from the user, but it still has bugnet.
      In a Speer you can remove the bugnet, and if I hang mine right, it
      naturally opens in the middle. I often lay my head on the side
      (like Youngblood in the picture linked above)...can't get more open
      than that!

      You can make most any hammock feel roomy if you pitch it right.

      > Second, does anyone know of a place near San Francisco or San Jose,
      > CA where I could
      > actually try out a hammock?

      REI is HQ'd in Seattle...I assume they have them in CA. Btw...which
      part of SF? I'm moving to Monterey on 10 June (after a few delays,
      I think we're actually driving out on this date!). We're gonna take
      two weeks and do some site-seeing along the way. Any gotta-see
      recommendations?

      > (I assume it has to be an asymmetrical
      > hammock for side-sleeping?)

      Not at all. Youngblood is in a homemade Speer in the pic above, I
      always fall asleep on my back, move to my side (kinda fetal), and
      often roll onto my stomach right before I wake up.

      > I'd rather not shell out big bucks for a hammock (and
      > associated underquilts/
      > Peapod/Supershelter/etc) without testing one.

      Ditto the previous advice on buying a HH from REI and returning it
      if you don't like it. Check Risk's TestHammock page to make a cheap
      Speer-type to see how comfortable it is. Then get Speer's kit if
      you can sew and want to save a hundred bucks.

      You'll have a hard time testing PeaPods and underquilts as they
      don't sell them in stores. You might be able to hook up with
      someone and try theirs, or make it to a Hammock Hangers meeting.
      I'll let you try my JacksRBetter set when I get out there if you
      want to meet up somewhere.

      Jeff
    • Bruce W. Calkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        I sleep on my side in my older model Hennessy.
        It looks to me that every hammock style has individual sweet spots. It may
        take a bit of experimentation to find the perfect hammock.

        Bruce W. (Black Wolfe)

        > I'm willing to try almost anything if it means I can sleep
        > on my side!
        > From the outside, it looks like a Hennessy hammock may
        > not gather up around the occupant so much.

      • Steve Joiner
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
          Hi, May. While I was happy to see that REI began carrying a few camping
          hammocks a while ago, I think they stink at marketing them and understanding
          how to sell them. Local stores here (Atlanta, GA) do carry them - but they
          have nowhere to hang or demonstrate them - and I haven't yet found a store
          associate that has slept in a hammock.....

          That said, If you're interested in a Hennessey, order one from them on-line
          and have it delivered to your closest REI - no shipping charges to you. Try
          it out and if you don't like it, use their 'no questions asked' return
          policy and give it back to them!

          Now, if they'll only expand their product line and offer Speer, Jacks r
          Better, and other products!

          Steve
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
            wrote:
            > First, it's been really hard to find photos of users lying on their
            > sides in the hammocks.
            > The notable exception is the Speer hammocks page (thanks!). Although
            > it looks
            > comfortable, it also looks claustrophobic! I don't expect the
            > spaciousness of a tent, but
            > could someone comment on that aspect? Are some hammocks roomier than
            > others? From
            > the outside, it looks like a Hennessy hammock may not gather up
            > around the occupant so
            > much.

            The HH asym models have extra fabric at the feet and head to allow
            you to more easily sleep off-axis, which means flatter.

            The Hennessey also has elastic tie-outs on the side that attach to
            the same stakes that you put out for the canopy. They pull the
            hammock apart and give it a more open feeling. But you're still
            sleeping in a sewn-in enclosure, which might bother sensitive
            individuals.

            I notice the closed-in feeling most when using the fly. Just replace
            it with a larger one that hangs up higher, like Ed Speer recommends.
            You could also make your own hammock with a free-hanging bug net--no
            velcro, you just sweep the thing aside when you get out.

            Doug Frost