Re: southern AT in the winter

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "o123david" <o123david@y...>
      wrote:
      > With the Speer hammock, the 900 down peapod with 2 oz overfill,
      under
      > a down blanket (overstuffed Nunatak Ghost) that is 2.8" thick, and
      > with the 8'x10' tarp in an A-frame to block some of the wind, my
      > impression is that I will at times still not be warm. Is this true?

      This should keep you warm for 2 season hiking in most places, and
      for 3 season hiking in a lot of places...depends on where you hike.

      > My question is about what to add for an average person to be warm.

      I collected a bunch of methods, with pictures, on my page:
      http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCamping.html

      > Would it be better to use something that doesn't block moisture,
      such
      > as a down quilt under the hammock and on top of the peapod?

      Yes. I think so, anyway...lots of folks are happy with pads, but I
      can't do CCF because of the condensation, and I don't carry my
      ThermaRest because of the weight. I haven't tried Ed's SPE
      yet...that might help some with the condensation.

      > Would I be warmer with less air between me and the insulation, in
      > other words with a hammock only 4' wide?

      For best warmth, you want the bottom insulation to be exactly
      against the hammock without compressing it. Any air in between will
      be cooled and steal your heat.

      All just my opinions...

      Jeff
    • o123david
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        Next winter I will try a down blanket and peapod and sleep on a pad to
        block the cold that can get between hammock and peapod.
        There is one thing I do not understand about the peapod. Does it
        attach to the Speer hammock with velcro? Is it held against the bottom
        of the hammock in this way?
        Thanks a lot for the recommendation of the Psolar mask and the vapor
        shield that comes with it. It should be a lot better than the polartec
        balaclava that I usually sleep in and I look forward to finally being
        able to keep my nose warm when hiking.
        Thanks for your help. --David
      • karens62@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
          David,

          The peapod fastens to itself at the top of the hammock. This allows you to totally be enclosed in the peapod while still not compressing the insulation. The velcro on the hammock itself is used for the bugnet; if you have to close the peapod all the way up, you probably don't need the bugnet at all!

          Karen

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
            David/Karen, I'd only add that the PeaPod can be easily adjusted to control
            how much warmth is need at any given time. I often start the night with it
            open on top and loose underneath, then progressively close it up over the
            course of the night as the temperature drops. The PeaPod can be closed snug
            around you & the hammock, or loose with open space between hammock & PeaPod.
            When adjusted loose, extra insulation can be added between the hammock &
            PeaPod for extremely cold weather..Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Editor, Hammock Camping News

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
              One word of caution (well, two): The first: I don't have firsthand
              experience with the peapod, so you may wish to confirm this with the
              many folks here who do;
              the second: it is my understanding that the solution to cold getting
              between you and the peapod isn't an extra pad, but to snug the peapod
              up against you. If you allow cold to get between you and the peapod,
              you're reducing the peapod's effectiveness to near zero. That may be
              desirable when it's warmer, but if it's cold, all that insulation will
              help you only if you prevent convection from occuring inside the
              insulated area. Sure, the peapod likely prevents sideways air movement,
              but you will still lose a lot of warm air through the openeing. Thus,
              if you sleep on a pad, underneath which there is a layer of cold air
              before the peapod starts, you're really just using the pad. I would
              suggest first trying to have the peapod hug the hammock, then add a pad
              if that's not sufficient.

              Peapod users, would that seem to be a correct assessment or do I need
              to stop talking about things I don't know much about?

              André
              wrote:
              > Next winter I will try a down blanket and peapod and sleep on a pad to
              > block the cold that can get between hammock and peapod.
              <snip>