Re: fabric alert

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > i guess all fleese is polyester? also,
      > they had bug net. i wonder how it compares to no seeum netting?

      Some fleece has cotton in it. If it's not on the bargain bin, they
      should have info about it if you ask.

      The bugnet-type stuff at my local Walmarts doesn't look like it would
      stop small gnats and stuff, just the skeeters. It's only .77/yd,
      though! I've found lots of stretchy muslin-type material in the bin
      that works great, though.
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
        > The bugnet-type stuff at my local Walmarts doesn't look like it
        would
        > stop small gnats and stuff, just the skeeters. It's only .77/yd,
        > though! I've found lots of stretchy muslin-type material in the
        bin
        > that works great, though.

        The small netting--Tulle if I remember the name correctly--works ok
        for forest bug netting. (It's what my brother used on his starter
        hammock just to see if the thing would work out for him.) But I
        wouldn't trust it canoeing or yakking, as it probably won't keep out
        sand fleas. But for someone who wants to try out hammocking it's
        readily available and dirt cheap. (An application of Permathin would
        help.)

        The "Nylon Netting" that WalMart sells is too open for bug netting,
        but should be good for structural stuff: supporting insulation in an
        undercover, or perhaps holding pads together like Speer's new product
        does. Very cheap, weighs damn near nothing.

        The nylon "sheers" stuff sometimes seen in fabric store bargain bins
        is as effective as no-seeum netting, but allows less airflow. It
        might be useful as a no-condensation wind barrier in cooler weather.

        Just throwing some ideas out... :-)

        Doug Frost