Re: [Hammock Camping] southern AT in the winter

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      David,

      Your well on your way. I agree that you will be much more comfortable
      with some insulation right up against your back. The easy way to do
      this is a pad. Only in the most extreme weather should the average
      person need further insulation. Ed talks about adding a small down
      blanket under the hammock, inside the Pea Pod. That would certainly add
      warmth. With such a set up - I think the average person would probably
      be warm to about 0 F.

      It is important to cover the head, as another writer has mentioned. I
      think it also preserves a lot of warmth to use something like PSolar's
      balaclava. This preserves the warmth from each breath and pre-warms the
      air coming into lungs.

      A narrower hammock will have you riding higher in the hammock, and the
      bag on top of you may get compressed by the weight of the Pea Pod lying
      on top of it. The deeper, 5 foot wide hammock that Ed sells is more
      likely to keep you warm.

      The reviews of the balaclava that I wrote is here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/Psolar%20Balaclava/Rick%20Allnutt%20III

      For my cold weather experiments, please see this link:

      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammock.htm

      Risk

      o123david wrote:

      > The southern AT, with its damp and windy weather, can be cold in the
      > winter. With the possibility of mushy snow on the ground a hammock
      > seems the only way to go. Layers of pads, the Oware 1/4" pads, can
      > provide warmth, but they are bulky and since they block the movement
      > of moisture everything ends up a little damp in the morning. So I'd
      > like to try to wrap myself in down.
      >
      > With the Speer hammock, the 900 down peapod with 2 oz overfill, under
      > a down blanket (overstuffed Nunatak Ghost) that is 2.8" thick, and
      > with the 8'x10' tarp in an A-frame to block some of the wind, my
      > impression is that I will at times still not be warm. Is this true?
      >
      > My question is about what to add for an average person to be warm.
      > Should I use a pad, maybe 20" wide and 3/8" thick, under me?
      > Would it be better to use something that doesn't block moisture, such
      > as a down quilt under the hammock and on top of the peapod?
      > Would I be warmer with less air between me and the insulation, in
      > other words with a hammock only 4' wide?
      >
      > What is the best way to be ultralight, warm, and dry using a hammock
      > on the southern AT in January?
      >
      > Thanks. --David

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "o123david" <o123david@y...>
        wrote:
        > With the Speer hammock, the 900 down peapod with 2 oz overfill,
        under
        > a down blanket (overstuffed Nunatak Ghost) that is 2.8" thick, and
        > with the 8'x10' tarp in an A-frame to block some of the wind, my
        > impression is that I will at times still not be warm. Is this true?

        This should keep you warm for 2 season hiking in most places, and
        for 3 season hiking in a lot of places...depends on where you hike.

        > My question is about what to add for an average person to be warm.

        I collected a bunch of methods, with pictures, on my page:
        http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCamping.html

        > Would it be better to use something that doesn't block moisture,
        such
        > as a down quilt under the hammock and on top of the peapod?

        Yes. I think so, anyway...lots of folks are happy with pads, but I
        can't do CCF because of the condensation, and I don't carry my
        ThermaRest because of the weight. I haven't tried Ed's SPE
        yet...that might help some with the condensation.

        > Would I be warmer with less air between me and the insulation, in
        > other words with a hammock only 4' wide?

        For best warmth, you want the bottom insulation to be exactly
        against the hammock without compressing it. Any air in between will
        be cooled and steal your heat.

        All just my opinions...

        Jeff
      • o123david
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
          Next winter I will try a down blanket and peapod and sleep on a pad to
          block the cold that can get between hammock and peapod.
          There is one thing I do not understand about the peapod. Does it
          attach to the Speer hammock with velcro? Is it held against the bottom
          of the hammock in this way?
          Thanks a lot for the recommendation of the Psolar mask and the vapor
          shield that comes with it. It should be a lot better than the polartec
          balaclava that I usually sleep in and I look forward to finally being
          able to keep my nose warm when hiking.
          Thanks for your help. --David
        • karens62@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
            David,

            The peapod fastens to itself at the top of the hammock. This allows you to totally be enclosed in the peapod while still not compressing the insulation. The velcro on the hammock itself is used for the bugnet; if you have to close the peapod all the way up, you probably don't need the bugnet at all!

            Karen

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
              David/Karen, I'd only add that the PeaPod can be easily adjusted to control
              how much warmth is need at any given time. I often start the night with it
              open on top and loose underneath, then progressively close it up over the
              course of the night as the temperature drops. The PeaPod can be closed snug
              around you & the hammock, or loose with open space between hammock & PeaPod.
              When adjusted loose, extra insulation can be added between the hammock &
              PeaPod for extremely cold weather..Ed

              Moderator, Hammock Camping List

              Editor, Hammock Camping News

              Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

              _____

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
                One word of caution (well, two): The first: I don't have firsthand
                experience with the peapod, so you may wish to confirm this with the
                many folks here who do;
                the second: it is my understanding that the solution to cold getting
                between you and the peapod isn't an extra pad, but to snug the peapod
                up against you. If you allow cold to get between you and the peapod,
                you're reducing the peapod's effectiveness to near zero. That may be
                desirable when it's warmer, but if it's cold, all that insulation will
                help you only if you prevent convection from occuring inside the
                insulated area. Sure, the peapod likely prevents sideways air movement,
                but you will still lose a lot of warm air through the openeing. Thus,
                if you sleep on a pad, underneath which there is a layer of cold air
                before the peapod starts, you're really just using the pad. I would
                suggest first trying to have the peapod hug the hammock, then add a pad
                if that's not sufficient.

                Peapod users, would that seem to be a correct assessment or do I need
                to stop talking about things I don't know much about?

                André
                wrote:
                > Next winter I will try a down blanket and peapod and sleep on a pad to
                > block the cold that can get between hammock and peapod.
                <snip>