Side sleeping (Was: Intro -- a total novice with questions)

  • AndrĂ© Corterier
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi May,

      from my very limited experience with hammocks - in that it is limited
      to Hennessy Explorer Asyms - they do allow me to sleep on my side
      (though I usually don't) and do not feel claustrophobic at all. A
      friend of mine is a side-sleeper and complained that the hammock
      (same type) does not allow him to pillow his head on his hand the
      same way because the hammock body does curve upward - usually he has
      his elbow stick out horizontally when asleep on the ground or his
      bed, which doesn't work in the hammock. He adopted a quarterback/side
      position with his elbow sticking out and up at a 45 degree angle
      which he said he slept well with (I could tell, he was still snoozing
      when I got up).

      REI does not sell in Germany, but I believe they have a generous
      return policy? If so, I'd suggest ordering one and trying it out in
      the yard. That should allow both you and your husband to try it out
      for an hour or a night - if it works, you keep it, if not, you send
      it back.

      André

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "shy_in_sunnyvale" <mql@m...>
      wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I'm a newbie on the list, and to backpacking, and I am very curious
      > about switching to a
      > hammock from a tent. When I read that hammocks let you sleep on your
      > side, my jaw
      > dropped. I'm willing to try almost anything if it means I can sleep
      > on my side! I've been
      > perusing the archives, and I've ordered Ed Speer's book, but I have
      > couple of questions/
      > observations...
      >
      > First, it's been really hard to find photos of users lying on their
      > sides in the hammocks.
      > The notable exception is the Speer hammocks page (thanks!). Although
      > it looks
      > comfortable, it also looks claustrophobic! I don't expect the
      > spaciousness of a tent, but
      > could someone comment on that aspect? Are some hammocks roomier than
      > others? From
      > the outside, it looks like a Hennessy hammock may not gather up
      > around the occupant so
      > much.
      <snip>
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi Shy,

        I seldom sleep on my back. In a hammock I don't spend much time
        completely on my side either. Instead, I tend to sleep with my lower
        legs completely turned to my side and my back at about a 45 degree
        angle. It sounds strange, but the hammock supports this sort of
        position very well. Its a lot like sleeping while leaning on my wife's
        shoulder.

        I don't find the hammock claustrophobic. Just the opposite. When
        looking at a picture of a hammock what I usually see is the side.
        However, when in the hammock what I see is up. With a quilt instead of
        a sleeping bag, I actually feel much less claustrophobic than in a
        sleeping bag. And under a tarp, I feel much less claustrophobic than in
        a tent.

        I did write up a solution to your dilemma of not wanting to shell out
        big bucks, but wanting to see if a hammock is comfortable. Here is the
        link:

        http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

        Which, by the way, is a good picture of how I sleep on my side.
        (Missing in the picture are a good pad and my quilt.)

        Have fun learning how to hammock camp. It has allowed me to camp when I
        had just about given up on camping.

        Risk

        shy_in_sunnyvale wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I'm a newbie on the list, and to backpacking, and I am very curious
        > about switching to a
        > hammock from a tent. When I read that hammocks let you sleep on your
        > side, my jaw
        > dropped. I'm willing to try almost anything if it means I can sleep
        > on my side! I've been
        > perusing the archives, and I've ordered Ed Speer's book, but I have a
        > couple of questions/
        > observations...
        >
        > First, it's been really hard to find photos of users lying on their
        > sides in the hammocks....

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005

          http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCamping.html

          > it also looks claustrophobic!

          Less so than in a tent, for me. I can see the ground, I can see out
          the sides of the tent, I watch the rain fall and don't get wet, I
          look for wildlife, I don't fell closed-in like in a tent. That's in
          my homemade Speer w/o the bug net. Adding the bug net does close
          you in a little, but still less than a tent because you can see
          through the net and watch what's going on outside...a 360' view if
          you don't have your tarp pulled down to storm conditions.

          > Are some hammocks roomier than
          > others? From
          > the outside, it looks like a Hennessy hammock may not gather up
          > around the occupant so
          > much.

          Depends on what you mean by roomier. Henessey puts side tie-outs on
          his so the sides pull away from the user, but it still has bugnet.
          In a Speer you can remove the bugnet, and if I hang mine right, it
          naturally opens in the middle. I often lay my head on the side
          (like Youngblood in the picture linked above)...can't get more open
          than that!

          You can make most any hammock feel roomy if you pitch it right.

          > Second, does anyone know of a place near San Francisco or San Jose,
          > CA where I could
          > actually try out a hammock?

          REI is HQ'd in Seattle...I assume they have them in CA. Btw...which
          part of SF? I'm moving to Monterey on 10 June (after a few delays,
          I think we're actually driving out on this date!). We're gonna take
          two weeks and do some site-seeing along the way. Any gotta-see
          recommendations?

          > (I assume it has to be an asymmetrical
          > hammock for side-sleeping?)

          Not at all. Youngblood is in a homemade Speer in the pic above, I
          always fall asleep on my back, move to my side (kinda fetal), and
          often roll onto my stomach right before I wake up.

          > I'd rather not shell out big bucks for a hammock (and
          > associated underquilts/
          > Peapod/Supershelter/etc) without testing one.

          Ditto the previous advice on buying a HH from REI and returning it
          if you don't like it. Check Risk's TestHammock page to make a cheap
          Speer-type to see how comfortable it is. Then get Speer's kit if
          you can sew and want to save a hundred bucks.

          You'll have a hard time testing PeaPods and underquilts as they
          don't sell them in stores. You might be able to hook up with
          someone and try theirs, or make it to a Hammock Hangers meeting.
          I'll let you try my JacksRBetter set when I get out there if you
          want to meet up somewhere.

          Jeff
        • Bruce W. Calkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
            I sleep on my side in my older model Hennessy.
            It looks to me that every hammock style has individual sweet spots. It may
            take a bit of experimentation to find the perfect hammock.

            Bruce W. (Black Wolfe)

            > I'm willing to try almost anything if it means I can sleep
            > on my side!
            > From the outside, it looks like a Hennessy hammock may
            > not gather up around the occupant so much.

          • Steve Joiner
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
              Hi, May. While I was happy to see that REI began carrying a few camping
              hammocks a while ago, I think they stink at marketing them and understanding
              how to sell them. Local stores here (Atlanta, GA) do carry them - but they
              have nowhere to hang or demonstrate them - and I haven't yet found a store
              associate that has slept in a hammock.....

              That said, If you're interested in a Hennessey, order one from them on-line
              and have it delivered to your closest REI - no shipping charges to you. Try
              it out and if you don't like it, use their 'no questions asked' return
              policy and give it back to them!

              Now, if they'll only expand their product line and offer Speer, Jacks r
              Better, and other products!

              Steve
[...]

              actually try out a hammock? (I assume it has to be an asymmetrical
              hammock for side-
              sleeping?) Although REI online has Hennessy hammocks, I've not seen
              them in my local
              store. I'd rather not shell out big bucks for a hammock (and
              associated underquilts/
              Peapod/Supershelter/etc) without testing one. I'd just like to lie in
              one and see what it
              feels like.

              Thanks in advance for any tips. I've really enjoyed reading about
              everyone's adventures
              and experiments in the archives.

              - May

              PS -- A bit more of a bio of me: I'm a graduate student in mechanical
              engineering. My
              husband is a former Eagle Scout who really got me hooked on hiking
              and camping. We
              took a backpacking class with our local Sierra Club last year and
              really enjoyed it, so now
              we're trying to plan more backpacking trips. We're also getting our
              dog conditioned to go
              with us. I have *never* slept comfortably in a tent, so I really hope
              I can make a hammock
              work! My husband is rather skeptical, which is another reason I'd
              like to find someplace we
              could try a hammock out...

            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
                wrote:
                > First, it's been really hard to find photos of users lying on their
                > sides in the hammocks.
                > The notable exception is the Speer hammocks page (thanks!). Although
                > it looks
                > comfortable, it also looks claustrophobic! I don't expect the
                > spaciousness of a tent, but
                > could someone comment on that aspect? Are some hammocks roomier than
                > others? From
                > the outside, it looks like a Hennessy hammock may not gather up
                > around the occupant so
                > much.

                The HH asym models have extra fabric at the feet and head to allow
                you to more easily sleep off-axis, which means flatter.

                The Hennessey also has elastic tie-outs on the side that attach to
                the same stakes that you put out for the canopy. They pull the
                hammock apart and give it a more open feeling. But you're still
                sleeping in a sewn-in enclosure, which might bother sensitive
                individuals.

                I notice the closed-in feeling most when using the fly. Just replace
                it with a larger one that hangs up higher, like Ed Speer recommends.
                You could also make your own hammock with a free-hanging bug net--no
                velcro, you just sweep the thing aside when you get out.

                Doug Frost