fabric alert

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31 7:25 PM
      i saw some fleece in walmart (but not the bargan bin & i don`t
      remember the cost) that looked a lot like patigonias R-stuff. i think
      it was called waffle fleece. i think i`ll go back & check it out
      tomorrow. it would be good for covering for a closed cell foam pad as
      well as clothing projects. i guess all fleese is polyester? also,
      they had bug net. i wonder how it compares to no seeum netting? the
      walmart i`m talking about is in winston-salem,nc thanks...slowhike
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:
        > i guess all fleese is polyester? also,
        > they had bug net. i wonder how it compares to no seeum netting?

        Some fleece has cotton in it. If it's not on the bargain bin, they
        should have info about it if you ask.

        The bugnet-type stuff at my local Walmarts doesn't look like it would
        stop small gnats and stuff, just the skeeters. It's only .77/yd,
        though! I've found lots of stretchy muslin-type material in the bin
        that works great, though.
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
          > The bugnet-type stuff at my local Walmarts doesn't look like it
          would
          > stop small gnats and stuff, just the skeeters. It's only .77/yd,
          > though! I've found lots of stretchy muslin-type material in the
          bin
          > that works great, though.

          The small netting--Tulle if I remember the name correctly--works ok
          for forest bug netting. (It's what my brother used on his starter
          hammock just to see if the thing would work out for him.) But I
          wouldn't trust it canoeing or yakking, as it probably won't keep out
          sand fleas. But for someone who wants to try out hammocking it's
          readily available and dirt cheap. (An application of Permathin would
          help.)

          The "Nylon Netting" that WalMart sells is too open for bug netting,
          but should be good for structural stuff: supporting insulation in an
          undercover, or perhaps holding pads together like Speer's new product
          does. Very cheap, weighs damn near nothing.

          The nylon "sheers" stuff sometimes seen in fabric store bargain bins
          is as effective as no-seeum netting, but allows less airflow. It
          might be useful as a no-condensation wind barrier in cooler weather.

          Just throwing some ideas out... :-)

          Doug Frost