Strength of 1.1 oz Ripstop

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2005
      Hi everyone, I just wanted to post a data point on the strength of
      1.1 oz ripstop. My hammock has 2 layers of 1.1 oz RN. It has held
      lots of weight without a problem. I always get in and out very
      carefully, rear end first, careful not to stress the sides too much,
      etc. I went camping with friends this weekend and somehow the bottom
      of the hammock tore. Nobody fessed up to doing it (but I didn't
      grill them either since it's not a big deal). It's right in the spot
      where a person would put her foot getting in or out. The tear is
      crossways, width-wise, short axis of the hammock, warp fibers are the
      ones that broke, however you want to describe it. The two women
      suspects are 135 lb and probably 150 lb in weight, both having used
      the hammock for naps while I was not around, and I suspect one of
      them just stepped in and made the hole, or maybe did it while
      stepping out. Anyway, I slept in it fine that night.

      So, 2 data points.
      1- 135 or 150 lb concentrated in a single spot may tear 1.1 oz RN
      2- 170 lb can most likely be supported by a single layer if you are
      careful.

      Bill in Houston
    • Moe T. Crow
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2005
        Just wondering, how would you step into/out of a hammock? Do you use a
        speer-type?

        --
        "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
        matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2005
          Sorry to hear about the fabric problems Bill, but thanks for sharing. I've
          had similar experience w/ 1.1, but obviously it works fine for a number of
          people. I think your cautions are well taken-with special care, 1.1 should
          last at least a full season or two..Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2005
            Yes, Speer type. I hang it low, and straddle it and lower my rear into
            it.

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Moe T. Crow" <moetcrow@g...>