suggestions please

  • simva2020
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2003
      this coming Sunday I will be section hiking from Deep Gap, NC to
      Wallace Gap, NC on the AT and will be using the HH A-sym for the
      first time....my underquilt is still under construction and will not
      be ready for the trip....so what to do to keep the backside
      warm...this section has many miles above 4000 feet and I think I will
      camp near the shelters that are around 4300 feet in elevation-so it
      will be chilly even if warm in the day....my options currently are:
      1. I have a Rab-Top bag that Moonbowgear has modified for me by
      adding a sleeve to accomodate a 3/4inch thick Bevalite pad that is 24
      inches wide and 78 inches long.
      2. I have a Nunatak Arc Alpinist quilt
      3. I have Tyvek left over from recent construction

      I'm pushing the age envelope and hike with the mindset of an
      ultralighter and usually carry 26-28 pounds for a 3 day hike
      including water/food/winter gear.....but this is my first time with
      the HH on the trail and I dont want to be miserable in the cold.

      Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Sincerely,
      Medicine Man
    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 7:10 AM
        Hi Everybody,

        Spring is here, we are setting our agendas for camping trips, biking trips,
        canoe trips etc.

        just the kind of trips to finally starting hammock camping on.

        Do to various reasons, I want to make my own gear, 1. i like making things,
        2. it could be cheaper, 3. it certainly is more fun than buying.

        I have looked around the Net, been reading these posts for a few weeks now,
        been told about the Speer book... this is all fine, however, i have a
        problem with terminology.

        is there a Site out there that gives really easy to understand defs.
        examples of all the various materials,

        rip-stop nyilon
        silnylon
        cordura - ok more for back packs I know...
        the list goes on, but these are the three that come to mind.

        The reason I need to know is I have not had much luck finding this stuff
        for sale here in Hungary. That means either it is not available or it comes
        under a different name here... so I am on the quest to find local sources
        of material but need to know the specs of the stuff to figure out what it
        is called in Hungarian or to explain to the folks in the shops who can help
        me....

        If all else fails I will buy on line, so the question arises, where to buy
        cool modern ultra lite, ultra strong materials?
      • geoflyfisher
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 11:33 AM
          Robi,

          I am always glad to see someone learning how to sew their own gear.
          Sorry to say I don't know enough Hungarian to find the toilet, much
          less technical language to help you... so the following is in english
          and perhaps will help you in a fabric store.

          Ripstop nylon is a woven fabric of nylon that has thicker thread
          about every half centimeter or so in both thread directions... it
          ends up looking like there is a net of squares imbedded into the
          background material. It is often used for parachute material. It is
          breathable material, and if you put your lips up to the material, you
          can suck air through it. For hammock making, you do not need the
          lightest ripstop. Using US measures, the lightest ripstop weighs 1.1
          oz per square yard. What you are looking for is one grade heavier
          (and by far the most common) at 1.9 oz per square yard.

          silnylon starts out as 1.1 (or 1.3) oz ripstop, but is impregnated
          with silicone so it ends up weighing about 1.5 oz per square yard.
          This is really waterproof stuff which is quite slippery. It makes
          wonderful material for lots of waterproof application.

          Cordura nylon is a heavy version of woven nylon threads. It is often
          done as a "basket weave" material... that is fairly corse threads to
          make up a material which is much heavier... like the material that
          modern cloth suitcases are made from.

          All this stuff is available mail order here in the states. I presume
          once you figure out the right words it is available worldwide. It is
          not commonly found in neighborhood cloth merchants - with the
          possible exception of simple 1.9 oz ripstop. Certainly I have never
          seen either no-see-up netting or silnylon in a sewing hobby store.

          I hope this helps.

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Everybody,
          >
          > Spring is here, we are setting our agendas for camping trips,
          biking trips,
          > canoe trips etc.
          >
          > just the kind of trips to finally starting hammock camping on.
          >
          > Do to various reasons, I want to make my own gear, 1. i like making
          things,
          > 2. it could be cheaper, 3. it certainly is more fun than buying.
          >
          > I have looked around the Net, been reading these posts for a few
          weeks now,
          > been told about the Speer book... this is all fine, however, i have
          > problem with terminology.
          >
          > is there a Site out there that gives really easy to understand
          defs.
          > examples of all the various materials,
          >
          > rip-stop nyilon
          > silnylon
          > cordura - ok more for back packs I know...
          > the list goes on, but these are the three that come to mind.
          >
          > The reason I need to know is I have not had much luck finding this
          stuff
          > for sale here in Hungary. That means either it is not available or
          it comes
          > under a different name here... so I am on the quest to find local
          sources
          > of material but need to know the specs of the stuff to figure out
          what it
          > is called in Hungarian or to explain to the folks in the shops who
          can help
          > me....
          >
          > If all else fails I will buy on line, so the question arises, where
          to buy
          > cool modern ultra lite, ultra strong materials?
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 11:52 AM
            1. Select the proper site. The best location is on the back side of
            a hill, preferably in a draw with some vegetation in the direction of
            the wind to help wind block, get the wind to hit at an angle to the
            side, with the foot downwind. Jardine talks about katabatic air, the
            zone of cold air in vallies. He says this zone can be as great as
            100ft deep. Make sure you are above it.

            2.Choose your warmest sleeping bag, have enough extra clothes to add
            warmth. Don't forget a hat or even better a balaclava.

            3. Use the car reflector pad system as described by Sgt Rock here
            http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock2.html#Tip 4 Most dept stores are
            out of car reflectors this time of the year but most auto parts
            stores will have them in stock.

            4. Hey it could be colder you are in NC after all, in Pa we still
            have snow on the ground and it was 12 last night.
          • uluheman
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 2:24 PM
              I haven't seen anyone mention my favorite sewing aid: the walking
              foot. It's a small, expensive gizmo that may or may not be available
              as an accessory for your particular sewing machine. It replaces the
              usual presser foot and serves as a set of upper feed dogs, exactly
              synchronized to the lower feed dogs (which are the only ones most
              people ever use). Because silnylon is so slick, the lower feed dogs
              may feed the lower piece of fabric, but slippage may (will!) occur
              between the lower and upper pieces of fabric you're trying to sew,
              which causes plenty of problems. With a walking foot, you should get
              nice and even stitches because the walking foot is feeding the upper
              piece of fabric at the same rate as the lower piece, minimizing
              slippage between the two pieces. No need to pull the fabric through
              manually, either; just let the machine do the work at it's own pace,
              as it was designed to do.

              Brandon in Honolulu

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher"

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2 10:24 AM
                Message
                Thanks for the sewing tip Brandon--the walking foot sounds promissing.  I have no experience with one, but would love to hear from anyone else who does.  Any idea where to get one Brandon?  ..Ed

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2 12:20 PM
                  Ed--

                  The walking foot is manufactured as an accessory for your machine,
                  maybe even your model. I'm pretty sure there won't be any generic
                  devices available. If you have a Bernina, check with your Bernina
                  dealer. If you have a Viking, check with Viking. Etc. I know both of
                  those manufacturers offer them because I checked when we bought a new
                  machine a few years ago. I'm just guessing, but it may be that
                  walking feet are simply not available for certain (less expensive?)
                  machines.

                  Brandon in Honolulu

                  > Thanks for the sewing tip Brandon--the walking foot sounds
                  promissing.
                  > I have no experience with one, but would love to hear from anyone
                  else
                  > who does. Any idea where to get one Brandon? ..Ed

                  terms/> .
                • Shane
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2 12:28 PM
                    > Thanks for the sewing tip Brandon--the walking foot sounds
                    > promissing. I have no experience with one, but would love to
                    > hear from anyone else who does. Any idea where to get one
                    > Brandon? ..Ed

                    All of the Adler machines I worked on had them. These were 'long arm patch'
                    machines specifically designed for leatherwork. They worked well in nylon
                    of any gauge. Tippman is also making a pneumatic machine that has a lot of
                    promise.

                    Shane