Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Trip report

  • PennyBright
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2005
      Jonas,
      The ends of my hammock have a rope loop. I don't think it's really clear in
      the photos, but the support cords in the hammock come up into the loop,
      which is knotted around with a continuous ring hitch. It makes a nice solid
      ring, which is slightly flexible. That flexibility is part of what makes it
      so easy to adjust the ossel hitch on it -- the hitch holds tightly, but I
      can warp the ring a little bit to loosen it up and undo or adjust it.
      This<http://www.msnusers.com/MyHikingPhotographs/gearpics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=156>is
      a pretty good photo of the ossel hitch on the ring -- you can see the
      ridge of the ring hitching nicely. The construction on this hammock is
      pretty neat, really --- the support cords and ring on each end are actually
      one long piece of cording that's been woven through the hammock fabric, then
      drawn up and knotted with the ring hitch to hold them in position and form a
      hanging loop. Pretty nifty.
      Anna

      --
      http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

    • DaveG
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
        Penny, is that an Equinox 8X10 tarp? I just bought one but have not
        tried it with my hammock yet. Looks like you have some great coverage!

        On 5/30/05, PennyBright <GreenSoul@...> wrote:
        > I just got back from my weekend trip -- it went pretty well, though very
        > physically challenging - beyond what I had conditioned for.
        > The hammock and tarp came through three thunderstorms and one steady nights
        > rain perfectly. I stayed dry, I stayed warm, my gear stayed dry, everything
        > worked exactly as it should. Weirdly, I was so comfortable that I kept
        > disoriented in my sleep and waking up dimly thinking I was at home in bed
        > and getting upset that I hadn't actually left for my trip yet.... and I
        > would get so upset I woke up all the way and realized I was out on the trip,
        > and then be able to go back to sleep.
        > I only took a few pictures of the hammock set up on the first night - the
        > second night I was too exhausted - I almost forgot how to set the tarp up, I
        > was so tired. so, no pictures... but it was pretty much the same as the
        > first night.
        > I am totally in love with the ossel hitch. I was able to adjust the hammock
        > in the middle of the night when it had stretch a little too much just by
        > loosening and then sliding some more length into the free end on the hitch.
        > And that's that.
        > Pictures can be seen
        > here<http://www.msnusers.com/MyHikingPhotographs/zaleskimay05.msnw>,and
        > there's a longer trip report with all the gory details on my blog.
        > Anna
        > --
        > http://long_trails.blogspot.com/

        DaveG
        "The sinning is the best part of repentance"
      • PennyBright
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
          Dave,
          Yup - Equinox silnylon 8x10 -- got it from REI.
          Anna