Hammock experiments

  • Edley McKnight
    Message 1 of 11 , May 28, 2005
      This last weekend I bought a cotton rope hammock and stand on sale at
      a local Bimart store. The hammock is very much like the Pawley Island
      Hammocks mentioned in Denison Andrew's book, with spreader bars and
      all. I've carefully untied the harness one line at a time and retied
      it without the stretcher bars.
      1. When I tied them in the same places that they were, the center of
      the hammock stood up like a ridge with the sides much lower.
      2. When I tied them to all have roughly equal length it behaved a lot
      like the folded, knot at the end tarp hammock I tried. That is, the
      hammock kind of wrapped around me like a cacoon.
      3. When I tied each harness piece a little longer starting from one
      side at one end and the opposite side from the other end, it acts much
      like an assymetric hammock. i.e. Lying off diagonal on one side I lie
      nearly flat with good support at the small of my back.
      Kinda cool! The hammock stand makes it much easier to work on,
      especially with all this rain.
      I've not slept all night on it so far, just a couple of hours. So
      far, it works great.
      The sleeping bag isn't compressed as much, as it bulges through the
      diamonds between cords, and seems somewhat warmer on the backside.

      I'll get out soon to the trees after my webbing order gets in.

      Edley.
    • Edley McKnight
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
        Not so good! The cotton rope hammock, re-rigged to be slightly asym.
        and without stretcher bars wound up developing great gaps between
        meshes that body parts ( feet, elbows, etc. ) slipped through, even in
        the sleeping bag. It was warm enough though withouut using foam or
        other insulation. ( temps down to mid 40's and 15 mph wind )
        I'm probably next going to try redesigning the flat sleeping aussie
        hammock I put a link to awhile back. ( Especially bug netting ).

        Edley.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Edley McKnight" <edleym@y...>
        wrote:
        > This last weekend I bought a cotton rope hammock and stand on sale at
        > a local Bimart store. The hammock is very much like the Pawley Island
        > Hammocks mentioned in Denison Andrew's book, with spreader bars and
        > all. I've carefully untied the harness one line at a time and retied
        > it without the stretcher bars.
        > 1. When I tied them in the same places that they were, the center of
        > the hammock stood up like a ridge with the sides much lower.
        > 2. When I tied them to all have roughly equal length it behaved a lot
        > like the folded, knot at the end tarp hammock I tried. That is, the
        > hammock kind of wrapped around me like a cacoon.
        > 3. When I tied each harness piece a little longer starting from one
        > side at one end and the opposite side from the other end, it acts much
        > like an assymetric hammock. i.e. Lying off diagonal on one side I lie
        > nearly flat with good support at the small of my back.
        > Kinda cool! The hammock stand makes it much easier to work on,
        > especially with all this rain.
        > I've not slept all night on it so far, just a couple of hours. So
        > far, it works great.
        > The sleeping bag isn't compressed as much, as it bulges through the
        > diamonds between cords, and seems somewhat warmer on the backside.
        >
        > I'll get out soon to the trees after my webbing order gets in.
        >
        > Edley.
      • Palefrei
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
          Just got my first hammock, a Hennessy Expedition Ultralight
          A-Sym.

          Talking to a 'buddie' of mine about it, he tells me it's
          'against the law' to tie hammocks to trees in Michigan
          state parks and other places up there. (I'm in Ohio).

          I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
          poo-poo anything he doesn't own...

          what say ye?
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...>
            wrote:

            > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
            > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
            >
            > what say ye?

            I say don't go to those parks.

            Most of the state parks I've been to will only let you camp in the
            designated sites, and I don't like to camp in these sites
            anyway...more critters, loud neighbors, hard packed (i.e. dusty)
            ground, etc.

            But if you hike a few miles, you're usually just outside the park
            boundary where you CAN camp wherever you want to...even hanging from
            trees.

            Some of the parks have designated hike-in sites. These are often
            not checked, and if they are the rangers can be lenient if you're
            using tree huggers or webbing. Their concern is protecting the
            trees. Well, I hear some of them are concerned with power
            and "enforcing the rules" over common sense, but I've yet to meet
            one like that.

            If you do go to those parks, check the regulations (or ask a
            ranger), or bring along a hammock stand if you're car camping.
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
              The ranger in Yellowstone that was hassling me agreed that if I put a
              few sticks between the rope and the tree (vertically) then the tree
              would be unharmed. This was before I knew about tree huggers.

              Ralph

              On 6/2/05, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
              > > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
              > >
              > > what say ye?
              >
              > I say don't go to those parks.
              >
              > Most of the state parks I've been to will only let you camp in the
              > designated sites, and I don't like to camp in these sites
              > anyway...more critters, loud neighbors, hard packed (i.e. dusty)
              > ground, etc.
              >
              > But if you hike a few miles, you're usually just outside the park
              > boundary where you CAN camp wherever you want to...even hanging from
              > trees.
              >
              > Some of the parks have designated hike-in sites. These are often
              > not checked, and if they are the rangers can be lenient if you're
              > using tree huggers or webbing. Their concern is protecting the
              > trees. Well, I hear some of them are concerned with power
              > and "enforcing the rules" over common sense, but I've yet to meet
              > one like that.
              >
              > If you do go to those parks, check the regulations (or ask a
              > ranger), or bring along a hammock stand if you're car camping.

            • André Corterier
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                In my personal opinion, what is more important is what will happen if
                someone finds you where some rule or other states you shouldn't be. In
                Germany, camping rules are difficult to even ascertain. My solution has
                been to stay away from what is clearly private property, and to
                practice Leave No Trace (including visual Leave No Trace, sometimes
                called camouflage). When I hang my bark-brown hammock in a convenient
                fold in the landscape, I'm effectively gone from sight even in
                daylight - after dusk, you'd literally have to stumble against my
                hammock to notice me. As I like to hang 30 to 50 yards (sometimes a
                little more) off the trail, that seems exceedingly unlikely (and has
                never happened).
                If found by a person that believes to have reason to tell me that what
                I'm doing is illegal, I'll apologize politely, point out that I took
                extreme care not to damage anything (tree huggers etc.) without trying
                to thereby tell him (invariably a male) that he's wrong, tell him again
                that I'm sorry and just didn't know and vacate the position. What's
                wrong with a little night hike now and then?
                As long as I don't get fined (or worse) for what I'm doing, it's good
                enough for me to observe the point of the regulations. I'll be the
                first to admit that being so selective about rules is quite iffy
                (especially coming from a lawyer), but as long as I am certain that I
                do no harm to anyone, I think I'll just try it out.
                And honestly, as long as we don't do fool stunts like lighting open
                fire in the woods or such, hanging off the trail in a hammock in a
                subdued colour means we need never have that kind of conversation in
                the first place.

                André

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...> wrote:
                > Just got my first hammock, a Hennessy Expedition Ultralight
                > A-Sym.
                >
                > Talking to a 'buddie' of mine about it, he tells me it's
                > 'against the law' to tie hammocks to trees in Michigan
                > state parks and other places up there. (I'm in Ohio).
                >
                > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
                > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
                >
                > what say ye?
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
                  <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:
                  > hanging off the trail in a hammock in a
                  > subdued colour means we need never have that kind of conversation in
                  > the first place.

                  Preach on, brother!
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Excellent idea Ralph! We should ALL be concerned about damaging trees, no
                    matter where they are, State Parks or elsewhere. Using a few dead sticks
                    from the ground is just SMART. Even webbing users could help set a good
                    example by doing the same...Ed

                    Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                    Editor, Hammock Camping News

                    Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                      Well said Andre. The subtitle of my book includes the words ‘Convenience &
                      Freedom’ and part of that is the ability to camp in undesignated places like
                      you describe. But as hammock campers, we should all be aware that we are
                      setting an example for those who will follow. As you suggest, Leave No
                      Trace techniques and personal integrity will go a long way setting the
                      proper example….Ed

                      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                      Editor, Hammock Camping News

                      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                      _____

                      In my personal opinion, what is more important is what will happen if
                      someone finds you where some rule or other states you shouldn't be. In
                      Germany, camping rules are difficult to even ascertain. My solution has
                      been to stay away from what is clearly private property, and to
                      practice Leave No Trace (including visual Leave No Trace, sometimes
                      called camouflage). When I hang my bark-brown hammock in a convenient
                      fold in the landscape, I'm effectively gone from sight even in
                      daylight - after dusk, you'd literally have to stumble against my
                      hammock to notice me. As I like to hang 30 to 50 yards (sometimes a
                      little more) off the trail, that seems exceedingly unlikely (and has
                      never happened).
                      If found by a person that believes to have reason to tell me that what
                      I'm doing is illegal, I'll apologize politely, point out that I took
                      extreme care not to damage anything (tree huggers etc.) without trying
                      to thereby tell him (invariably a male) that he's wrong, tell him again
                      that I'm sorry and just didn't know and vacate the position. What's
                      wrong with a little night hike now and then?
                      As long as I don't get fined (or worse) for what I'm doing, it's good
                      enough for me to observe the point of the regulations. I'll be the
                      first to admit that being so selective about rules is quite iffy
                      (especially coming from a lawyer), but as long as I am certain that I
                      do no harm to anyone, I think I'll just try it out.
                      And honestly, as long as we don't do fool stunts like lighting open
                      fire in the woods or such, hanging off the trail in a hammock in a
                      subdued colour means we need never have that kind of conversation in
                      the first place.

                      André

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Palefrei <palefrei@y...> wrote:
                      > Just got my first hammock, a Hennessy Expedition Ultralight
                      > A-Sym.
                      >
                      > Talking to a 'buddie' of mine about it, he tells me it's
                      > 'against the law' to tie hammocks to trees in Michigan
                      > state parks and other places up there. (I'm in Ohio).
                      >
                      > I figure it's just sour-grapes from him, since he tends to
                      > poo-poo anything he doesn't own...
                      >
                      > what say ye?

                      _____

                    • Rosaleen Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                        Ralph-

                        When were you hassled about hammocking in Yellowstone? I asked Xanterra reservations for the campgrounds that accepted reservations about hammocks and tieing to trees. No one there knew of an issue, AND, no park people hassled us about the hammocks. We moved around a lot during a week there, sightseeing in one area, then moving to another. We stayed at Bridge Bay, Grant, Norris, Madison (IIRC, and that may have been our one miserable night in a tent), Canyon, and Pebble Creek. We also spent a night in Grand Teton, Fremont Lake Forest Service Campground, and in Buffalo Bill Cody State Park, hammocking with no hassles. This was last summer, 2004. Maybe some enlightenment is creeping into places?

                        Rosaleen

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                          I've used a stick to help untie my hennessy knot. it helps keep the
                          knot away from the tree. this was on a big tree where the huger didnt
                          reach all the way around. I put a 2 in dia stick and tied the knot
                          right beside it.

                          Coy Boy (nowhere neer smart as ralph, seriously! but I do spell better)