Re: [Hammock Camping] Laying slightly off the center line?

  • neuronboy2
    Message 1 of 9 , May 27 11:59 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
      <redroach@e...> wrote:
      > I don't know how they attach.
      > Just working from memory (got to get that hammock out)
      > the attachment is hidden under/in nylon at either end. There are
      guy lines
      > on the asym points as well.
      >
      > TV (I know that didn't help, but I am off to dig out the hammock)

      I did go to Wal-mart last night and got some great 100% polyester
      discount fabric to make a test hammock ala RISK, but with the
      asymmetrical design.

      I cut the fabric according to the length formula in Speer's book +
      6". It was a rectangle not a parallelogram. Then when gathering the
      material for the end knot I started gathering about a foot from the
      end on one side and worked my way to the opposite side of the fabric-
      moving toward the corner of the fabric as I went. I tied the knot
      and then did the other end opposite.

      The hammock seemed more comfortable with the asymm know than the
      normal knot. I seemed to be able to lay more flat when off axis and
      the hammock seem to sort of force my body into this flat position.

      I'm going to mess with this some more. I'm not about to make an
      expensive hammock on this design yet.
    • Edley McKnight
      Message 2 of 9 , May 27 2:30 PM
        Hammock Patents

        Hi,

        I've been looking at some of the patents on hammocks on
        http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-bool.html
        which is the full USA Patent site.
        In order to see the full patents, an TIFF image viewer is needed.
        A free one is available at
        http://www.alternatiff.com/
        It is plug in for the browser.

        When I put in for the two keywords Hammock and Hennessy I found a
        number of them. One early one tells how to make the autoclosing
        bottom entry and how to fold the standard unit. One later one gives
        quite a bit of detail on the Asymmetrical configuration. It appears
        that the best asym is tuned for the individual person. Apparantly
        just making a long and wide hammock would do for comfort, but to
        reduce the weight, you have to get sneaky.

        I've not built any hammocks so complex as yet, and most likely will
        buy one, but it helps me to understand how they are made.

        Maybe this will help some of you experimenting with variations.

        Edley.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "neuronboy2" <daveallison@b...>