Re: [Hammock Camping] Laying slightly off the center line?

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26 7:15 PM
      I don't know how they attach.
      Just working from memory (got to get that hammock out)
      the attachment is hidden under/in nylon at either end. There are guy lines
      on the asym points as well.

      TV (I know that didn't help, but I am off to dig out the hammock)
    • neuronboy2
      Message 2 of 9 , May 27 11:59 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
        <redroach@e...> wrote:
        > I don't know how they attach.
        > Just working from memory (got to get that hammock out)
        > the attachment is hidden under/in nylon at either end. There are
        guy lines
        > on the asym points as well.
        >
        > TV (I know that didn't help, but I am off to dig out the hammock)

        I did go to Wal-mart last night and got some great 100% polyester
        discount fabric to make a test hammock ala RISK, but with the
        asymmetrical design.

        I cut the fabric according to the length formula in Speer's book +
        6". It was a rectangle not a parallelogram. Then when gathering the
        material for the end knot I started gathering about a foot from the
        end on one side and worked my way to the opposite side of the fabric-
        moving toward the corner of the fabric as I went. I tied the knot
        and then did the other end opposite.

        The hammock seemed more comfortable with the asymm know than the
        normal knot. I seemed to be able to lay more flat when off axis and
        the hammock seem to sort of force my body into this flat position.

        I'm going to mess with this some more. I'm not about to make an
        expensive hammock on this design yet.
      • Edley McKnight
        Message 3 of 9 , May 27 2:30 PM
          Hammock Patents

          Hi,

          I've been looking at some of the patents on hammocks on
          http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-bool.html
          which is the full USA Patent site.
          In order to see the full patents, an TIFF image viewer is needed.
          A free one is available at
          http://www.alternatiff.com/
          It is plug in for the browser.

          When I put in for the two keywords Hammock and Hennessy I found a
          number of them. One early one tells how to make the autoclosing
          bottom entry and how to fold the standard unit. One later one gives
          quite a bit of detail on the Asymmetrical configuration. It appears
          that the best asym is tuned for the individual person. Apparantly
          just making a long and wide hammock would do for comfort, but to
          reduce the weight, you have to get sneaky.

          I've not built any hammocks so complex as yet, and most likely will
          buy one, but it helps me to understand how they are made.

          Maybe this will help some of you experimenting with variations.

          Edley.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "neuronboy2" <daveallison@b...>