SPE

  • ekunitz
    Message 1 of 10 , May 26, 2005
      Just curious as to how those new Speer's Segmented Pad Extenders are
      working out. The design looks pretty simple and the concept is
      smart. Has anybody used them yet? Could save me a whole lot of money...

      thanks
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 26, 2005
        after jd mentioned the SPE i went to the speer web page & was looking
        at them again. this question has no dought been answered before but,
        the widths for the 2x2 is 30" & the 4x4 is 40". i`m guesing the extra
        width is to acomadate stacked & various thickness pads ( i belive i
        remember being told that). but what if someone (for instance) put only
        one 1" pad (20" wide)in the 2x2 or the 4x4? just curious.
        thanks...slowhike
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
          wrote:
          > after jd mentioned the SPE i went to the speer web page & was
          looking
          > at them again. this question has no dought been answered before
          but,
          > the widths for the 2x2 is 30" & the 4x4 is 40". i`m guesing the
          extra
          > width is to acomadate stacked & various thickness pads ( i belive i
          > remember being told that). but what if someone (for instance) put
          only
          > one 1" pad (20" wide)in the 2x2 or the 4x4? just curious.
          > thanks...slowhike

          The underside of the SPE has a elasticised panel that allows the SPE
          to expand to accomodate different pad stacking combos. One pad, two
          pads, an Exped DAM and a pad... they'll all fit and the SPE holds
          them together. Because the wings provide the extra width
          independantly you're not limited to pads that are wide-enough-for-
          hammocking. Now you can choose pads based on the best weight-to-
          warmth ratio and comfort. And the narrower pads & wing sections are
          easier to pack away. The two wing sizes are to suit individual
          preferences. (I got the 8x.)

          The Speer/Womble Axis of Comfort delivers! Order today!
          ;-)

          Doug Frost
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
            wrote:

            > after jd mentioned the SPE i went to the speer web page & was
            looking
            > at them again. this question has no dought been answered before but,
            > the widths for the 2x2 is 30" & the 4x4 is 40". i`m guesing the extra
            > width is to acomadate stacked & various thickness pads ( i belive i
            > remember being told that). but what if someone (for instance) put
            only
            > one 1" pad (20" wide)in the 2x2 or the 4x4? just curious.
            > thanks...slowhike

            Tim,

            Not sure if you're confused by the listed dimensions or not. There are
            some photos and diagrams on the SPE page (
            http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm ) that should clear up
            how those dimensions work. The basic design consists of a main sleeve
            with an elastic panel on the back side; it accomodates 20" wide pads
            and the elastic allows it to accomodate pads of various thicknesses or
            combinations of various pads. The wings on the side hold 5" wide
            (actually I think they are cut down to 4-7/8" for fit purposes?) pads
            that are typically 20" long and up to 1" thick or various items such as
            clothing. With a 5" wide pad on each side, the overall width is 30".
            With two 5" wide pads on each side the overall width is 40".

            You don't have to put pads or any other type of insulation in the
            wings. You can put insulation in whatever wings you desire and leave
            the others empty. In the case where you don't use any of the wing
            compartments you would have 20" wide pad(s) enclosed in a nylon shell.

            Dave
          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
              I have looked at the SPE a number of times but didn't know about the back
              side being an elastic panel. That explains a lot about the versatility. I
              would suggest a photograph of the backside so we can see it.
              Thanks
              Scott

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott Schroeder <schrochem@g...>
                wrote:

                > I have looked at the SPE a number of times but didn't know about the
                back
                > side being an elastic panel. That explains a lot about the
                versatility. I
                > would suggest a photograph of the backside so we can see it.
                > Thanks
                > Scott

                Thanks Scott... that is a good point. Ed's on holiday but I'll make
                sure he reads your post.

                Dave
              • Marta Clark
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
                  >You don't have to put pads or any other type of
                  insulation in >the
                  >wings.
                  >Dave

                  The weekend before this one, when Moonbeam and I were
                  in the Smokies and it got down into the low 20s, I had
                  the 1/4" pad (which is too wide for the SPE), with an
                  SPE with part of a WM blue pad in it on top of the
                  gray pad. I had not gotten around to cutting up pad
                  sections to fit in the sleeves, so the sleeves were
                  empty. As I reported before, I was plenty warm with
                  that pad setup plus the big sleeping bag and Pea Pod.
                  The thing I noticed, though, was that normally I have
                  a lot of trouble with the pads ending up crumpled
                  underneath me partway through the night. The SPE
                  prevented that from happening and the pads stayed
                  fully stretched out and right where they were supposed
                  to be. I assume that was because the surface is so
                  slippery. At any rate, it worked wonderfully.

                  Marta

                  __________________________________
                  Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                  http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 27, 2005
                    thanks dave for the information on the elastic back. slowhike
                  • J.D. Hoessle
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 28, 2005
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > after jd mentioned the SPE i went to the speer web page & was
                      > looking at them again.
                      > Tim,
                      > Not sure if you're confused by the listed dimensions or not.

                      Tim...? Understand what Dave is talking about now?

                      The SPE "BODY with stretch bottom" holds a 20" wide pad of most any
                      thickness. Exped DAM fits in there easily or a T-rest plus Blue cc.

                      The SPE "wings" are in TWO different configurations. If you're skinny
                      and don't need that extra width in the shoulders, one set of "wings"
                      (4 in all) works fine. If you are wide across the shoulders, you
                      probably need the extra 4... Make sense...?

                      I know I posted this before; but, I am so impressed with how well it
                      worked for me! NO COLD SPOTS! (Exped DAM + SPE + blue cc pads in the
                      wings) What had concerned me and turned out to be a non-issue was if
                      it was going to be "too tight". Of course, I was a bit "higher" in
                      the Speer because of the thickness of the DAM; but not a problem. I
                      was wrapped "snugly" but not "tightly"...

                      Warmer temps, I will definitely use the SPE; but, a gray or blue pad
                      versus the Exped DAM.

                      I am also pleased with the TOTAL weight! Speer + tarp + SPE + Exped
                      DAM + blue cc for the wings + 5F sleeping bag = 7.75 pounds. I am
                      getting a quilt and eliminating the slpg. bag which should get that
                      down by as much as 2 pounds!

                      Thanks, Dave....!!!!!!!!

                      Happy Trails,

                      J.D.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 28, 2005
                        jd... yeah, i figured it was pribably set-up something like that.
                        and that`s ideal for flexability. ...slowhike