Ossel hitch, pics of my hammock

  • PennyBright
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2005
      Taking my hammock out for it's first 'in the wild' overnight this
      weekend. Two nights in Zaleski State Forest. I leave Friday.

      I did something a little different when I got my webbing - instead
      of sewing it onto the hammock, I tied it to the hammock loops with an
      ossel hitch. At first I just mean to tie it until I could get it
      sewed, but after taking it up and down a few times I found that having
      the ossel hitch was really nice, because I could adjust how the
      hammock hung if it was an inch or so off without having to untie from
      the tree.

      I have a few pics up in the gear section on my photo site, including
      a couple of close ups of the ossel hitch - I tried to find a website
      with a good picture of the knotting for it, but couldn't. I got the
      hitch from Budworth's 'Ultimate Encylopedia of Knots and Ropework'.
      If anyone wants, I'll take some pics of the knotting, and post them
      too.

      Anna

      http://groups.msn.com/MyHikingPhotographs/gearpics.msnw?Page=3

      --
      http://long_trails.blogspot.com/
    • pamcycles
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2005
        Hi Anna,

        I'm looking forward to your trip report, Zaleski SF looks wonderful.
        In particular, I'd like to know how your hammock fares, as I have the
        same one. I'm also wondering how best to attach a bug net, if you have
        any ideas.

        BTW, I found a site that shows the Ossel hitch. Honestly, I did not
        know this site even existed until I googled your hitch ;)

        Click on "Site map" on the left-hand side, then look for the hitch
        under "Knots":

        http://www.geocities.com/master_gharlane/home.html?200526

        Have a great trip!
        Pam

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, PennyBright <GreenSoul@g...>
        wrote:
        > Taking my hammock out for it's first 'in the wild' overnight this
        > weekend. Two nights in Zaleski State Forest. I leave Friday.
        >
        > I did something a little different when I got my webbing -
        instead
        > of sewing it onto the hammock, I tied it to the hammock loops with
        an
        > ossel hitch. At first I just mean to tie it until I could get it
        > sewed, but after taking it up and down a few times I found that
        having
        > the ossel hitch was really nice, because I could adjust how the
        > hammock hung if it was an inch or so off without having to untie
        from
        > the tree.
        >
        > I have a few pics up in the gear section on my photo site,
        including
        > a couple of close ups of the ossel hitch - I tried to find a website
        > with a good picture of the knotting for it, but couldn't. I got
        the
        > hitch from Budworth's 'Ultimate Encylopedia of Knots and
        Ropework'.
        > If anyone wants, I'll take some pics of the knotting, and post them
        > too.
        >

        > Anna
        >
        > http://groups.msn.com/MyHikingPhotographs/gearpics.msnw?Page=3
        >

        > --
        > http://long_trails.blogspot.com/
      • Edley McKnight
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2005
          Hi Anna,

          That does look like a great knot! I found a site that has a pdf file
          that includes this hitch at:
          http://www.ontariocottage.com/documents/KnotToday.pdf
          I'll try it when my webbing order comes in.
          Thanks!

          Edley.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, PennyBright <GreenSoul@g...> wrote:
          > Taking my hammock out for it's first 'in the wild' overnight this
          > weekend. Two nights in Zaleski State Forest. I leave Friday.
          >
          > I did something a little different when I got my webbing - instead
          > of sewing it onto the hammock, I tied it to the hammock loops with an
          > ossel hitch. At first I just mean to tie it until I could get it
          > sewed, but after taking it up and down a few times I found that having
          > the ossel hitch was really nice, because I could adjust how the
          > hammock hung if it was an inch or so off without having to untie from
          > the tree.
          >
          > I have a few pics up in the gear section on my photo site, including
          > a couple of close ups of the ossel hitch - I tried to find a website
          > with a good picture of the knotting for it, but couldn't. I got the
          > hitch from Budworth's 'Ultimate Encylopedia of Knots and Ropework'.
          > If anyone wants, I'll take some pics of the knotting, and post them
          > too.
          >

          > Anna
          >
          > http://groups.msn.com/MyHikingPhotographs/gearpics.msnw?Page=3
          >

          > --
          > http://long_trails.blogspot.com/
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2005
            Oh, great. I went to a bondage site from my computer at work.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2005
              Goodness! That's quite a site, isn't it, Pam? I'd found it when I tried to
              find a page for the knot to share, but hadn't ventured to poke through it to
              find the knot.

              I have a free floating bug net that I am taking this trip -- I am not sure
              if I will need to use it, but if I do, I plan to take a note from
              Risk's QuarterWeight
              hammock <http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm>, and knot
              some quarters into the corners for weights, then anchor the center to the
              hammock lines with some nylon cord. I need to carry some quarters anyways,
              in case of emergency phone calls, so I might as well put them to work. I'll
              let you know how it works out!
              Edley, it is a neat little hitch! I've found I'm using it a lot now that
              I've learned it. That pdf you found is great - maybe you could post it to
              the documents section of the group?
              Thanks for the good wishes! I'll post a trip report on monday or tuesday.
              Anna

              --
              http://long_trails.blogspot.com/