Laying slightly off the center line?

  • neuronboy2
    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2005
      Hey All, back when I lived in So. Cal. I did a ton of hammock camping
      as a back country rock climber but never got a great night's sleep in
      my net hammock. I sagged too much. I have recently starting looking
      into hammocks again for fastpacking and ultrlight packing.

      I have read Ed Speer's book and only one question remains thus far- Is
      laying slightly off-center, as the Hennessy Hammock people propose
      with their Asymm. design the way to get a more flat body? I didn't see
      anywhere in Ed's book where he addresses this. Can this be done in a
      Speer designed hammock following the dimensions listed in his book?

      I can lay off-center in my net hammock so I would assume this is
      possible without the "asymm" design.

      How does the laying off-center effect the implementation of the pea
      pod?

      Thanks for your input.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2005
        Hi,

        Ed calls it lying "slightly diagonal to the length of the hammock." See
        the first paragraph of page 42 of his book. The idea is to put shoulders
        on one side of the midline and feet on the other side. Also on page 38
        it is clear that this is the position that Ed is in.

        This sort of position works fine in a Pea Pod or a TravelPod.

        Risk

        neuronboy2 wrote:

        > Hey All, back when I lived in So. Cal. I did a ton of hammock camping
        > as a back country rock climber but never got a great night's sleep in
        > my net hammock. I sagged too much. I have recently starting looking
        > into hammocks again for fastpacking and ultrlight packing.
        >
        > I have read Ed Speer's book and only one question remains thus far- Is
        > laying slightly off-center, as the Hennessy Hammock people propose
        > with their Asymm. design the way to get a more flat body? I didn't see
        > anywhere in Ed's book where he addresses this. Can this be done in a
        > Speer designed hammock following the dimensions listed in his book?
        >
        > I can lay off-center in my net hammock so I would assume this is
        > possible without the "asymm" design.
        >
        > How does the laying off-center effect the implementation of the pea
        > pod?
        >
        > Thanks for your input.

      • neuronboy2
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2005
          Risk, thanks. I totally missed that paragraph in the book. I
          probably skimmed that and jumped right to the next section on fetal
          position sleepers, since that is me.

          I would think an asymmetrical hammock (one with slightly more
          material on the side and end near the head and feet so the sides of
          the hammock end up being of equal height when laying off-axis) could
          be made by cutting the hammock material to a slight parallelogram
          instead of a perfect rectangle and then tying the hammock end knots
          as usual, with end seam aligned.

          Any experience with this?

          > Hi,
          >
          > Ed calls it lying "slightly diagonal to the length of the
          hammock." See
          > the first paragraph of page 42 of his book. The idea is to put
          shoulders
          > on one side of the midline and feet on the other side. Also on
          page 38
          > it is clear that this is the position that Ed is in.
          >
          > This sort of position works fine in a Pea Pod or a TravelPod.
          >
          > Risk
          >
          > neuronboy2 wrote:
          >
          > > Hey All, back when I lived in So. Cal. I did a ton of hammock
          camping
          > > as a back country rock climber but never got a great night's
          sleep in
          > > my net hammock. I sagged too much. I have recently starting
          looking
          > > into hammocks again for fastpacking and ultrlight packing.
          > >
          > > I have read Ed Speer's book and only one question remains thus
          far- Is
          > > laying slightly off-center, as the Hennessy Hammock people
          propose
          > > with their Asymm. design the way to get a more flat body? I
          didn't see
          > > anywhere in Ed's book where he addresses this. Can this be done
          in a
          > > Speer designed hammock following the dimensions listed in his
          book?

          > > I can lay off-center in my net hammock so I would assume this is
          > > possible without the "asymm" design.
          > >
          > > How does the laying off-center effect the implementation of the
          pea
          > > pod?
          > >
          > > Thanks for your input.

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • sdbrehm
          Message 4 of 9 , May 26, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "neuronboy2" <daveallison@b...>
            wrote:

            > I would think an asymmetrical hammock (one with slightly more
            > material on the side and end near the head and feet so the sides of
            > the hammock end up being of equal height when laying off-axis) could
            > be made by cutting the hammock material to a slight parallelogram
            > instead of a perfect rectangle and then tying the hammock end knots
            > as usual, with end seam aligned.

            I've been wondering about this too. I'm using a homemade Z-Hammock
            from Risks design with a half-inch pad between the layers. When I try
            to sleep off the center line my upper body feels tilted sideways down
            toward the shoulder furthest from the center line and my feet feel
            tilted the other way. I end up feeling (and I think actually) twisted
            at the waist, and the shoulder closer to the center line is squeezed
            in while the other feels more free. Is this effect common? Is it
            minimized in an HH Asym? I usually end up with my upper body more
            centered and my feet off to one side.

            You HH owners - how is the Asym cut? Would it be possible to replicate
            it with the whipped end type construction?
          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 9 , May 26, 2005
              There is a plan for HH underquilt in the files section. It should pretty
              much show you how the hammock is shaped. Otherwise I aint sure how to
              answer.

              Then again, I could just set mine up and look ;)

              TV
            • sdbrehm
              Message 6 of 9 , May 26, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
                <redroach@e...> wrote:
                > There is a plan for HH underquilt in the files section. It should pretty
                > much show you how the hammock is shaped. Otherwise I aint sure how to
                > answer.
                >
                > Then again, I could just set mine up and look ;)
                >
                > TV

                I saw the plans, but couldn't visualize how the suspension lines attach.
              • Thomas Vickers
                Message 7 of 9 , May 26, 2005
                  I don't know how they attach.
                  Just working from memory (got to get that hammock out)
                  the attachment is hidden under/in nylon at either end. There are guy lines
                  on the asym points as well.

                  TV (I know that didn't help, but I am off to dig out the hammock)
                • neuronboy2
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 27, 2005
                    <redroach@e...> wrote:
                    > I don't know how they attach.
                    > Just working from memory (got to get that hammock out)
                    > the attachment is hidden under/in nylon at either end. There are
                    guy lines
                    > on the asym points as well.
                    >
                    > TV (I know that didn't help, but I am off to dig out the hammock)

                    I did go to Wal-mart last night and got some great 100% polyester
                    discount fabric to make a test hammock ala RISK, but with the
                    asymmetrical design.

                    I cut the fabric according to the length formula in Speer's book +
                    6". It was a rectangle not a parallelogram. Then when gathering the
                    material for the end knot I started gathering about a foot from the
                    end on one side and worked my way to the opposite side of the fabric-
                    moving toward the corner of the fabric as I went. I tied the knot
                    and then did the other end opposite.

                    The hammock seemed more comfortable with the asymm know than the
                    normal knot. I seemed to be able to lay more flat when off axis and
                    the hammock seem to sort of force my body into this flat position.

                    I'm going to mess with this some more. I'm not about to make an
                    expensive hammock on this design yet.
                  • Edley McKnight
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 27, 2005
                      Hammock Patents

                      Hi,

                      I've been looking at some of the patents on hammocks on
                      http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-bool.html
                      which is the full USA Patent site.
                      In order to see the full patents, an TIFF image viewer is needed.
                      A free one is available at
                      http://www.alternatiff.com/
                      It is plug in for the browser.

                      When I put in for the two keywords Hammock and Hennessy I found a
                      number of them. One early one tells how to make the autoclosing
                      bottom entry and how to fold the standard unit. One later one gives
                      quite a bit of detail on the Asymmetrical configuration. It appears
                      that the best asym is tuned for the individual person. Apparantly
                      just making a long and wide hammock would do for comfort, but to
                      reduce the weight, you have to get sneaky.

                      I've not built any hammocks so complex as yet, and most likely will
                      buy one, but it helps me to understand how they are made.

                      Maybe this will help some of you experimenting with variations.

                      Edley.