Speer Hammock and Velcro

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2005
      Ed (and anyone who's made his hammock),

      What kind of stitch do you use to sew the velcro onto the hammock?
      Have you ever seen any problems with the hammock stretching more than
      the velcro/stitches and causing problems?

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2005
        Jeff, I use a normal straight stitch for the hook & loop fasteners. The
        only problem seen so far is occasionally the different stretch of the Velcro
        & the hammock fabric can cause undue stress at the stitching at the ends of
        the Velcro. Yes the Velcro is ¾” wide and the ¾” long stitch across the
        ends of the Velcro can be stressed and can cause hammock fabric to rip at
        this point. That’s why I make the Velcro long enough to extend well into
        the end knots themselves—problem solved. Otherwise, there’s been no other
        problems…..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc