Hammock Camping Re: Benefit of Snakeskins?

  • geoflyfisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31 5:09 AM
      Hi Steven,

      Nothing new here. Between TopRock and Shane, it has been covered in
      their web sites. But to briefly restate:

      With the HH, one can attach the snakeskins outside or inside the fly
      attchment point. If attached outside the fly, then the fly is
      normally enclosed in the snakeskins. If the Snakeskinz are attached
      between the fly attachment and the hammock, then the snakeskins just
      enclose the hammock and the fly is packed outside it. Advantage of
      this second method is that the fly can be dried separately at lunch.
      If you need to put the hammock up in the rain, you can tie the
      hammock up with the waterproof snakeskins protecting it, then clip on
      the fly, stretch it out with its stakes, and then open the
      snakeskins. This keeps the hammock dry. without having to carefully
      open the snakeskins trying to make sure the fly is on top. If it is
      windy, this ability to put the hammock up without a care is really
      quite nice.

      If you want a lightweight fly which is larger, Campmoor makes one, I
      believe Ed Speer would sell one separately, or you can sew one
      yourself. It is a project which takes about $50 of materials (6 2/3
      yards of silnylon, tie-outs, cords, etc) Ray Jardine's book has OK
      instructions on how to sew it, as do several sources on the net -
      some even better than Ray's. Having built two Jardine type tarps, I
      would opt for deleting the "peaks" for this hammock use.

      With the larger fly, it is normally pitched separately from the
      hammock and then the hammock is tied up under the tarp.

      <><

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen T. Gregorie"

    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31 7:05 AM
        Stephen:

        If you want to have a larger tarp made, I can vouch for the
        quality of Moonbow Gear.

        http://www.moonbowgear.com/

        They've made me two tarps and the workmanship is excellent.
        Prices depend on what you want, but seemed reasonable to me.

        Bear