hammock bivy idea!

  • athiker1994
    Message 1 of 23 , May 23, 2005
      Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy. Bottom is 1.1 oz
      siliconized nylon and top piece would be epic or some breathable
      material. Sewed up tight and sealed. Tied Speer style on both ends
      with a zipper to enter near the top like Bibler bivy's. Advantages-
      Could slide the pad into the body during summer. Could drop it to the
      ground in winter and would have a real bivy sack under the tarp. And
      of course- the standard hammock during the rest of the season with the
      option of being able to get in it.
      Crazy idea? Hanging bivy hammock.

      Todd
      earplug
    • hiking@westernpa.us
      Message 2 of 23 , May 23, 2005
        > Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy. Bottom is 1.1 oz
        > siliconized nylon and top piece would be epic or some breathable
        > material. Sewed up tight and sealed. Tied Speer style on both ends
        > with a zipper to enter near the top like Bibler bivy's. Advantages-
        > Could slide the pad into the body during summer. Could drop it to the
        > ground in winter and would have a real bivy sack under the tarp. And
        > of course- the standard hammock during the rest of the season with the
        > option of being able to get in it.
        > Crazy idea? Hanging bivy hammock.
        >
        > Todd

        I'd suggest the zipper on the side, connecting the top piece and the
        hammock. I think entry from the top would prove difficult.

        mike
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 23 , May 23, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994" <athiker94@g...>
          wrote:
          > Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy.

          Check out DebW's gallery first:

          27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/
        • jerry boucher
          Message 4 of 23 , May 23, 2005
            I think a better idea than that is to buy you a swag which is the tent sleeping pad and completely waterproof living quarters that you can roll up and carry on a backpack and has tow rope ends that you can tie to the same tree as your hammock and use a nylon fish net type hammock to let the water escape and you would have the perfect night shelter. I live in Australia and the swag is very popular here because of its convenience in camping. Later Jerry

            hiking@... wrote:> Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy. Bottom is 1.1 oz
            > siliconized nylon and top piece would be epic or some breathable
            > material. Sewed up tight and sealed. Tied Speer style on both ends
            > with a zipper to enter near the top like Bibler bivy's. Advantages-
            > Could slide the pad into the body during summer. Could drop it to the
            > ground in winter and would have a real bivy sack under the tarp. And
            > of course- the standard hammock during the rest of the season with the
            > option of being able to get in it.
            > Crazy idea? Hanging bivy hammock.
            >
            > Todd

            I'd suggest the zipper on the side, connecting the top piece and the
            hammock. I think entry from the top would prove difficult.

            mike

          • mrbyer
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 4, 2007
              I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and if
              they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a newbie
              with a sewing machine. Thanks.

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 4, 2007
                i have been planning one (in my thoughts) that will be more like the travel pod on risk's or jeff's site.
                it will attach to the ridge line by 2 hooks. it will have a long, center zipper from foot to above head, & 2 short zippers at the end of the long one (above head) that will go down either side.
                that way i can unzip the long, center zipper & one zipper on either side to enter or exit.

                i'm thinking of several variations...
                1) ...all bug net
                2) ...bug net top & nylon bottom
                3) ...all nylon (for winter) ...tim

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
                > wrote:
                > > Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy.
                >
                > Check out DebW's gallery first:

                > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 4, 2007
                  As I remember others who have tried similar projects there ends up being an
                  awful lot of stress across along the seam and along the zipper. I think you
                  will have to make sure that when the hammock is loaded (with you) that these
                  areas aren't stressed.

                  Is there some sort of sewing techniqure that allows one piece to stretch
                  more than the other?

                  Ralph

                  PS I'm imaginine three layers, Bottom pocket for pad, top pocket for me.

                • Patrick
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                    I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
                    winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                    zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
                    leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
                    drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
                    I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.

                    My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                    much) to counter any condensation that might collect.

                    I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
                    am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

                    > i have been planning one (in my thoughts) that will be more like
                    the travel pod on risk's or jeff's site.
                    > it will attach to the ridge line by 2 hooks. it will have a
                    long, center zipper from foot to above head, & 2 short zippers at the
                    end of the long one (above head) that will go down either side.
                    > that way i can unzip the long, center zipper & one zipper on
                    either side to enter or exit.

                    > i'm thinking of several variations...
                    > 1) ...all bug net
                    > 2) ...bug net top & nylon bottom
                    > 3) ...all nylon (for winter) ...tim
                    >
                    > mrbyer <mrbyer@...> wrote:
                    > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
                    if
                    > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
                    newbie
                    > with a sewing machine. Thanks.
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > Had an idea today. A hanging hammock bivy.
                    > >
                    > > Check out DebW's gallery first:

                    > > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
                    3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

                  • Debra Weisenstein
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                      I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and had
                      condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely love
                      is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and sides.
                      I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try this
                      link (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).

                      The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
                      bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch darts
                      in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter top
                      fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave the
                      bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit around
                      the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam pad
                      in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                      excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the synthetic
                      insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                      top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't need a
                      sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                      weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could bring
                      an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system has
                      proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                      repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                      windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

                      DebW

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@...> wrote:

                      > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
                      > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                      > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
                      > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
                      > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
                      > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                      >
                      > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                      > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                      >
                      > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
                      > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
                      > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
                      > if
                      > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
                      > newbie
                      > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994"
                      > > >
                      > > > Check out DebW's gallery first:

                      > > > 27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
                      > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

                    • mrbyer
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                        This is perfect Deb. As a beginner at making my own stuff I was
                        hoping for to get some basic blueprints I could see. I am familiar
                        with the term "dart" but do not really understand it. Also what type
                        of insulation did you use? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                        <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        can
                        > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
                        the
                        > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
                        Conversely,
                        > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                        > >
                        > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                        > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                        > >
                        > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
                        ripstop, and
                        > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
                        > >
                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
                        > > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's
                        and
                        > > if
                        > > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help

                      • Debra Weisenstein
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                          The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
                          thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
                          currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not quilt
                          it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2 years
                          of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
                          non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock and
                          lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
                          measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the top
                          side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and bottom
                          measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
                          several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
                          turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I think
                          the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed circumference
                          of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
                          could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't clear.

                          DebW

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mrbyer" <mrbyer@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > DebW
                          > >
                          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube*
                          > for
                          > > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                          > > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I
                          > can
                          > > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
                          > the
                          > > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
                          > Conversely,
                          > > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                          > > >
                          > > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                          > > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                          > > >
                          > > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
                          > ripstop, and
                          > > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

                        • Debra Weisenstein
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
> [...]

                            > > DebW
                            > >
                            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube*
                            > for
                            > > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                            > > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I
                            > can
                            > > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie
                            > the
                            > > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline.
                            > Conversely,
                            > > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                            > > >
                            > > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                            > > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                            > > >
                            > > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of
                            > ripstop, and
                            > > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...

                          • mrbyer
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                              I think I am confused as to exactly where the darts were removed. What
                              edges, what direction. I apologize for my not understanding. Is your
                              foot end a separate piece that was sewn on or did you remove material
                              to get the cone shape? I can't see any seams in your phot so I think
                              that also makes it difficult for me.

                              <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > pad
                              > > > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                              > > > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
                              > > synthetic
                              > > > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                              > > > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
                              > > need a
                              > > > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                              > > > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
                              > > bring
                              > > > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
                              > > has
                              > > > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                              > > > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                              > > > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

                            • Billy Chard
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 5, 2007
                                Deb
                                can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love your pod its just what i have been looking for..

                                BTW what kind if hammock do you have..

                                Billy

                                <dweisens@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > > pad
                                > > > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                                > > > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the
                                > > synthetic
                                > > > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                                > > > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't
                                > > need a
                                > > > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                                > > > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could
                                > > bring
                                > > > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system
                                > > has
                                > > > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                                > > > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                                > > > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.

                              • gerzson
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 6, 2007
                                  My experience with a hammock sock was that it is significantly warmer
                                  but creates lots of condensation. Mine was made from a non-breathable
                                  ripstop and was full length - asking for it :)

                                  Now I am thinking of making one with one side mesh and one side
                                  breathable ripstop and use it in the summer with the mesh side up and
                                  in the winter rotated to a litle more than 90 degrees so I will have a
                                  mesh window (on the downwind side). The tube will also be able to
                                  support some bottom insulation.

                                  gerzson
                                • rghickma
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                                    Deb,

                                    Your cocoon is great, thank you much for sharing your process,
                                    material choices, and the picture.

                                    I hope you don't mind if I copy your ideas. The information you
                                    provided is perfect, I can't wait to get started. I ordered the
                                    materials this morning. I ordered the Climashield Combat, I chose
                                    this because it looked to be near the HL specs and was a happy
                                    medium between the choices of Climashield XP (since I couldn't
                                    decide). :)

                                    I have a Speer hammock (from kit) with bug net, I think the bug
                                    netting over the face area will add warmth while keeping the
                                    breathing/condensation under control when the cocoon is pulled into
                                    place. I planning to use 1.9 ripstop from Ed Speer in hopes it will
                                    be breathable enough.

                                    I have gone from a scientific minded, measurement oriented person to
                                    a build by process. I like your ideas on how to simply make it to
                                    fit you/hammock. I am fortunate enough that my son is the same size
                                    as me, I am going to make him get in and I will pin it up to fit.
                                    Poor kid doesn't even know it is coming. :)

                                    Thanks again for taking the time to share.

                                    /Rodney

                                    <dweisens@...> wrote:

                                    > The insulation I used was Climashield HL, purchased from
                                    > thru-hiker.com (though the web site shows only Climashield XP
                                    > currently). I sewed it into the seams of the bag, but did not
                                    quilt
                                    > it, so it is attached only at it's edges and seems fine after 2
                                    years
                                    > of use. I can't give you a blueprint because my hammock is
                                    > non-standard in length and width. What I did was hang the hammock
                                    and
                                    > lay inside. Then I tied a string to the foot end and used it to
                                    > measure the length from foot-end hanging strap to my neck on the
                                    top
                                    > side and bottom side of the hammock. The difference in top and
                                    bottom
                                    > measurements was what had to be removed with darts, by cutting out
                                    > several triangles of fabric and then sewing the edges together,
                                    > turning a flat piece of fabric into a 3-dimensional object. I
                                    think
                                    > the darts were about 12 inches deep. To get the needed
                                    circumference
                                    > of the pod, I measured it at various points while laying in it. I
                                    > could make a crude drawing of the pieces of fabric if this isn't
                                    clear.

                                    > DebW

                                  • d2aisy2000
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                                      Deb,
                                      Thanks for your description of the measuring techniques and darts you
                                      used for your bivy. I made a down-insulated hammock (lengthwise
                                      tubes), and arrived at a good 3-dimensional shape by inspecting and
                                      adjusting the baffles before I attached the bottom surface and
                                      injected the down. Now I want to make a primaloft version for someone
                                      who's allergic to down. Your experience with Climashield could be
                                      very helpful. Did you put darts in the insulation as well as the
                                      bottom cover? I've thought of sewing the primaloft into tubes and
                                      using baffles, as I did with my down hammock, but I like the idea of
                                      just sewing the insulation at the edges of the hammock. Thanks.
                                      David
                                      <dweisens@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm no longer using the hammock bivy, as it was somewhat heavy and had
                                      > condensation problems. What I'm currently using and absolutely love
                                      > is a sock/travelpod/cocoon which I insulated on the bottom and sides.
                                      > I can't seem to add a picture to my album on this site, but try this
                                      > link (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2250133370074761024yGKxmA).
                                      >
                                      > The key to making this a perfect fit on the hammock was to make the
                                      > bottom/side fabric longer than the top fabric. I put 4 10-inch darts
                                      > in the sides of the bottom fabric before sewing it to the shorter top
                                      > fabric. Without the darts, it would either cover my face or leave the
                                      > bottom side of my shoulders exposed. Because of the good fit around
                                      > the shoulders, and the bottom and side insulation, I need no foam pad
                                      > in the hammock. The outer fabric is a breathable ripstop with an
                                      > excellent teflon DWR coating. The inner fabric to cover the synthetic
                                      > insulation is the lightest nylon I could find. The single layer of
                                      > top fabric actually adds a lot of warmth also, so I often don't need a
                                      > sleeping bag inside until the wee hours of the morning. The cocoon
                                      > weighs 19 oz and lets me leave the foam pad at home, and I could bring
                                      > an even lighter sleeping bag or quilt if I had one. This system has
                                      > proven it's worth on windy rainy nights when the excellent water
                                      > repellency of the cocoon completely protected my down bag from
                                      > windblown spray. I've never noticed any condensation in it either.
                                      >
                                      > DebW
                                      >
                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patrick@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm presently working on a hammock sock/travel pod type *tube* for
                                      > > winter, made of two pieces of 60" x 130" 1.9 ripstop, 96" #3
                                      > > zippers on each side seam, drawstrings on the ends... I figure I can
                                      > > leave the zippers open a bit for ventilation, and I can also tie the
                                      > > drawstrings loosely to have ventilation at the ridgeline. Conversely,
                                      > > I can tighten it all down for very cold weather.
                                      > >
                                      > > My only concern is making sure there is ventilation (but not too
                                      > > much) to counter any condensation that might collect.
                                      > >
                                      > > I've made a bug bivvy this way, using noseeum instead of ripstop, and
                                      > > am very happy with it, no stress on the ridgeline...
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > mrbyer <mrbyer@> wrote:
                                      > > > I was wondering how many people have made a bivy, like Deb's and
                                      > > if
                                      > > > they would be willing to share plans, even basic ones to help a
                                      > > newbie
                                      > > > with a sewing machine. Thanks.

                                      > > 3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

                                    • Debra Weisenstein
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                                        I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                                        http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG

                                        My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
                                        to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                                        drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
                                        I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                                        bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.

                                        DebW

                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:

                                        > Deb
                                        > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
                                        your pod its just what i have been looking for..

                                        > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
                                        >
                                        > Billy

                                      • Debra Weisenstein
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                                          Yes, I put darts in the insulation. I didn't sew the darts together
                                          in the insulation, just cut out the excess and let the sewing on the
                                          edges hold it together. The insulation really is sticky so it sticks
                                          to itself pretty well.

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "d2aisy2000" <delliott78@...>

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                                            That diagram helps immensely. Thank you for taking the time to make
                                            and post it.

                                            <dweisens@...> wrote:

                                            > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                                            > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                                            >
                                            > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it needs
                                            > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                                            > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling. If
                                            > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                                            > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                                            >
                                            > DebW
                                            >
                                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Deb
                                            > > can you do a rough pattern.. that would be fantastic.. i love
                                            > your pod its just what i have been looking for..
                                            > >
                                            > > BTW what kind if hammock do you have..
                                            > >
                                            > > Billy

                                          • rghickma
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                                              I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                                              Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                                              about where the darts should start. It turned out great.

                                              Materials I used:
                                              1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                                              1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                                              Climashield Combat for insulation
                                              3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings

                                              Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                                              over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                                              others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                                              I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.

                                              I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                                              slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                                              center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                                              fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                                              without bunching up.

                                              Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                                              to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                                              warmth.

                                              Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.

                                              Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                                              other do-it-yourselfers!

                                              /Rodney

                                              <dweisens@...> wrote:

                                              > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                                              > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                                              >
                                              > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                                              needs
                                              > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                                              > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                                              If
                                              > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                                              > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                                              >
                                              > DebW
                                            • mrbyer
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 17, 2007
                                                Great to hear. I am looking for some time to set aside to sew mine.
                                                Post some pics when you get a chance. And continued thanks to Deb...

                                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rghickma"
                                                <rodney.g.hickman@...> wrote:

                                                > I finished my cocoon this weekend to go over my Speer type hammock.
                                                > Using the diagram was very helpful saved me lots of time in deciding
                                                > about where the darts should start. It turned out great.
                                                >
                                                > Materials I used:
                                                > 1.9 Ripstop for the outside and top
                                                > 1.1 Ripstop for inside (over insulation)
                                                > Climashield Combat for insulation
                                                > 3/32 shock cord for both drawstrings
                                                >
                                                > Since I did not put any Velcro on outside of the bivy, I slid it
                                                > over the ridge line to allow the bug netting to stay sealed. If
                                                > others are going to use ridgeline and bug netting inside the cocoon
                                                > I might recommend adding 8-10inches to the length at the fool end.
                                                >
                                                > I also did not cut darts into the insulation. I did sew in some
                                                > slack (careful not to bunching it up) to simulate darts allowing the
                                                > center to not have tension (as it still needs to be longer like the
                                                > fabric. This way the insulation did take the shape very well
                                                > without bunching up.
                                                >
                                                > Preliminary testing shows it to really add warmth with flexibility
                                                > to adjust the tension on the drawstring allowing adjustment to the
                                                > warmth.
                                                >
                                                > Looking forward to getting it into the outdoors.
                                                >
                                                > Deb, Thanks again for your time to provide so much information for
                                                > other do-it-yourselfers!
                                                >
                                                > /Rodney
                                                >
                                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
                                                > <dweisens@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > I've posted a diagram of my cocoon/insulated pod here
                                                > > http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2762794360074761024coOUFG
                                                > >
                                                > > My design has no zippers, just a drawstring at both ends, so it
                                                > needs
                                                > > to be over the hammock before the hammock is pitched. The head-end
                                                > > drawstring is elastic so I can slide it over me without fiddling.
                                                > If
                                                > > I use a ridgeline, it goes outside the cocoon just to hold up the
                                                > > bugnet. My hammock is a homemade Speer-type.
                                                > >
                                                > > DebW

                                              • Patrick
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 18, 2007
                                                  FWIW, I finished my SockPod (that's what I'm calling it, I suppose). Not
                                                  quite as nice as what ya'll would come up with, but it will work for
                                                  me... here's the link to photos:
                                                  http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod
                                                  <http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/HammockSockPod>

                                                  Here's my report from another forum:

                                                  It's modeled after a bug bivvy I made a while back, (also modeled after
                                                  Blackbishop's hammock sock
                                                  <http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/sock-inside1.jpg> , and
                                                  Just Jeff's hammock sock
                                                  <http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html> and Risk's
                                                  travel pod <http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm> ) and it
                                                  consists of 2 sheets of 125" x 60" 1.9 oz. DWR ripstop sewn together to
                                                  form a tube, with a 96'-ish #3 zipper (with 2 reversable pulls that
                                                  close head-to-head) at one seam and paracord drawstrings at the ends.

                                                  The drawstrings at the ends allow for easy setup and ventilation on each
                                                  end, and the zipper allows the pod/sock to be completely closed on the
                                                  ends, but still allows flexible ventilation through a moveable,
                                                  resizable, zippered vent hole (like Risk's pod). You can either pull it
                                                  up over you like a sock, or leave it set up completely and enter through
                                                  the side zipper entrance. The zipper entrance can also act as a window
                                                  to outside, which I find pretty important.

                                                  I have no idea what it weighs, but it could (always!) be made to be
                                                  lighter, by using lighter materials (lighter ripstop, etc), these were
                                                  just the materials I had at hand. I did use a lighter zipper, #3, and
                                                  also pulled the center fibers out of the paracord, but the biggest
                                                  difference would be the weight of the material itself. I also didn't try
                                                  to taper the material like Risk did.