Hammock Camping Re: Benefit of Snakeskins?

  • starnescr
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2003
      There is only one way to attach the original fly to the HH. the
      prussic knot has a clip at the end which attaches around to plastic
      circle piece. The fly provided with the HH needs to be down where it
      is to avoid possible blowing rain from getting in. But, if you want
      a larger fly you could run an extra ridge line over the HH and use
      it for the fly hung in a more traditional retecangular shape. Some
      folks like this option as it provides more coverage for cooking etc
      in bad weather. The fly on my Crazy Crib LEX is nice for this but
      the hammock is in the way and with the poles in place. It would be
      a great setup for a simpler hammock in the winter when the enclosure
      wouldnt be needed for bug protection. But the 6 stake it needs is a
      downside. Plusses and minuses for every possible situation and gear
      choice.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen T. Gregorie"

    • geoflyfisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
        Hi Steven,

        Nothing new here. Between TopRock and Shane, it has been covered in
        their web sites. But to briefly restate:

        With the HH, one can attach the snakeskins outside or inside the fly
        attchment point. If attached outside the fly, then the fly is
        normally enclosed in the snakeskins. If the Snakeskinz are attached
        between the fly attachment and the hammock, then the snakeskins just
        enclose the hammock and the fly is packed outside it. Advantage of
        this second method is that the fly can be dried separately at lunch.
        If you need to put the hammock up in the rain, you can tie the
        hammock up with the waterproof snakeskins protecting it, then clip on
        the fly, stretch it out with its stakes, and then open the
        snakeskins. This keeps the hammock dry. without having to carefully
        open the snakeskins trying to make sure the fly is on top. If it is
        windy, this ability to put the hammock up without a care is really
        quite nice.

        If you want a lightweight fly which is larger, Campmoor makes one, I
        believe Ed Speer would sell one separately, or you can sew one
        yourself. It is a project which takes about $50 of materials (6 2/3
        yards of silnylon, tie-outs, cords, etc) Ray Jardine's book has OK
        instructions on how to sew it, as do several sources on the net -
        some even better than Ray's. Having built two Jardine type tarps, I
        would opt for deleting the "peaks" for this hammock use.

        With the larger fly, it is normally pitched separately from the
        hammock and then the hammock is tied up under the tarp.

        <><

        <stgga@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > > hammock bed. The
        > > > strings wick water away from the rope and it drips
        > > to the ground
        > > > instead of wetting the hammock bed. With the
        > > Snakeskins, the drip
        > > > strings are no longer necessary."
        > > > I haven't been in rain that was so hard that
        > > it's given me any
        > > > problems. We did have a drought last summer here
        > > in Northern PA. I
        > > > also like having the hammock stuff sack to store
        > > my few odds and
        > > end
        > > > like maps, first aid kit, LED light, journal etc
        > > like Sgt Rock does.
        > > > So ok all you people sold on these things tell
        > > me what I am
        > > missing
        > > > out on.

        > Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
          Stephen:

          If you want to have a larger tarp made, I can vouch for the
          quality of Moonbow Gear.

          http://www.moonbowgear.com/

          They've made me two tarps and the workmanship is excellent.
          Prices depend on what you want, but seemed reasonable to me.

          Bear