help w/ underquilt

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2005
      jeff... i got about half way through the underquilt project, &
      the sewing machine started messing up. until i can figure it out, i`ll
      try to find someone to help finish the quilt. i would like to be able
      to use it on a 2 night trip memorial day weekend. anyway... it looked
      like yours was a rectangle if i was seeing it right. i`m cuting this
      one to a boat or banana shape, getting small at each end (like the
      hammock). any thoughts or sugestions that come to mind would be
      welcome. thanks...slowhike
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:
        > jeff... i got about half way through the underquilt project, &
        > the sewing machine started messing up. until i can figure it out,
        i`ll
        > try to find someone to help finish the quilt. i would like to be
        able
        > to use it on a 2 night trip memorial day weekend. anyway... it
        looked
        > like yours was a rectangle if i was seeing it right. i`m cuting this
        > one to a boat or banana shape, getting small at each end (like the
        > hammock). any thoughts or sugestions that come to mind would be
        > welcome. thanks...slowhike

        Mine is a rectangle, which keeps the sides from flopping over when
        attached at the corners. If you make a boat shape, you'll likely need
        some sort of attachment at the side guy-out points to keep the edges
        taut.

        Did you check the tension on the machine?

        Are you using quality thread? I started with Coats and Clark, which
        was fine for a while, then out of nowhere I got bird nests every
        time. Switched to Gutermann's and haven't had that problem since.

        Good luck finishing the quilt...be sure to post pics!

        Jeff
      • DaveG
        Message 3 of 4 , May 25, 2005

          > Mine is a rectangle, which keeps the sides from flopping over when
          > attached at the corners. If you make a boat shape, you'll likely need
          > some sort of attachment at the side guy-out points to keep the edges
          > taut.

          I have been working on one that I cut to the same shape as my HH Asym,
          and I was hoping to use some draw strings to keep the sides tight-
          though if this does not work then I will use some attachments. Mine is
          an "Undercover" though so that I can just slide a pad in or I can sew
          some insulation in later. Kind playing it by ear right now :)

          > Did you check the tension on the machine?
          >
          > Are you using quality thread? I started with Coats and Clark, which
          > was fine for a while, then out of nowhere I got bird nests every
          > time. Switched to Gutermann's and haven't had that problem since.
          >
          > Good luck finishing the quilt...be sure to post pics!
          >
          > Jeff

          I have been having the exact same problems- thanks for the tip.
          --
          DaveG
          "The sinning is the best part of repentance"
          Message 4 of 4 , May 26, 2005
            jeff... sorry it took me so long to get back to you. i had the
            sewing machine checked out & they did reset the tention but i think
            the real problem may have been that i didn`t have it threaded right.
            the thread i`m using is from ray way products. i sewed the first
            underquilt to small & i`m working on a second try. the shaped version
            will probly work well, but w/ my limited sewing skills i mite have
            been better off using a simple rectangle. i`ll let you know how it
            goes. thanks...slowhike