Spreading the Disease

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2005
      (good song by Queensryche from an even better album, btw) I hung with
      two friends this weekend. Last year, I had the only hammock at our
      campout. My excitement and enthusiasm was contagious enough to
      convince two others to buy some (also HH - not enough English
      capability to make use of the resources of the internet on what else
      is out there - so it was "get me that, too, please").

      Man, tying three hammock to radiate out from a tree was so much fun -
      it feels much more like a communal thing than tents, somehow.
      Luckily, they adapted to their hammocks well, although one took about
      a half hour to get settled on his slippery little Thermarest (not a
      one of them took my advice to try them out beforehand). Being able to
      string them up for an afternoon rest break/nap was nice, but even
      better was not worrying about a camp site. There is no general right
      to camp in Germany, and it is often hard to figure out whether or not
      one is on grounds where camping is allowed. Should we have erred,
      however, we knew that our site was indetectable from more than 50
      feet away come dusk, and that no trace remained of our night spent
      there the moment we took down the hammocks. Here's to Leave No Trace!

      André
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2005
        Great story André, it’s really neat to introduce newbies to
        hammocking—they’re always so surprised and pleased! Keep up the good
        work...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , May 23, 2005
          I'd call it spreading the Ease, not Dis-Ease.

          Rick