next SEHHA get-to-gether

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 30 , May 23, 2005
      when is the next SEHHA get-to-gether....
      i've always wanted to get to one but it has always been during my work
      week :(
      Message 2 of 30 , May 23, 2005
        Our next SEHHA is June 10-12 in Hot Springs, NC:

        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/HotSpringsJun05.htm

        It's also the annual Bluegrass Festival that weekend! Hope you can make it
        Simva

        .Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
          This is about to happen, I'm going and was wondering who else is
          planning on making it?

          Youngblood

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
            I'm hopeing to make it. Rhonda says she will try to come this time.
            Which trees did Ed say he and Karen had used before? Wasn't it the
            one's Jeff used and another close by? Could I reserve them:')

            Coy Boy
            PS Ed if you see this and remember, bring my stuff sacks along.
            THANKS!!!!!!

            > This is about to happen, I'm going and was wondering who else is
            > planning on making it?
            >
            > Youngblood
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
            > > Our next SEHHA is June 10-12 in Hot Springs, NC:
            > >

            > > http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/HotSpringsJun05.htm
            > >

            > > It's also the annual Bluegrass Festival that weekend! Hope you can
            > make it
            > > Simva
            > >

            > > .Ed

          • marta_clark
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
              I think I'm going to be there, arriving Saturday midday. I'm trying to
              persuade my little one (Forrest, aged 19) to join me but no luck so far.

              Marta
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
                > Which trees did Ed say he and Karen had used before? Wasn't it the
                > one's Jeff used and another close by? Could I reserve them:')

                Not mine...it was the trees right next to where the canopies were, one
                hammock over from me. I think Seashell was there on Friday, and they
                were open Saturday night when you were there.
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
                  Thanks Jeff, I remember now. Maybe they will still be available when
                  we get there around 10AM Sat morning. You gona make it?

                  Coy Boy

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
                    > Thanks Jeff, I remember now. Maybe they will still be available when
                    > we get there around 10AM Sat morning. You gona make it?

                    Wish I could, but I'm finally driving out for California on the 10th!

                    I'll have to hook up with the SWHHA and do some hanging out west.
                    (Will need a better acronym...it's so fun to
                    say "SEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAA!!!" like a karate master...SWHHA doesn't have
                    the same ring to it.)

                    Good news is, with the elevations out there I'm sure the cold weather
                    testing season can last MUCH longer than here in South Carolina!

                    Y'all have fun!
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
                      You bet Coy! I'll make sure you guys get the 3-tree couples setup! We'll
                      also have some stands so two hammocks can be set up side by side. If it's
                      as hot next weekend as it was today, I can't wait to jump in the river...Ed

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
                        Marta, I can bring a loner hammock for Forrest if you want...Ed

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
                          All the best on your new adventure Jeff. We'll miss you...Ed

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
                            > All the best on your new adventure Jeff. We'll miss you...Ed

                            Thanks. I'll still be here on the list, though, so across the country
                            isn't all that far... :)
                          • Coy
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 5, 2005
                              Swell on both counts! save me a spot at the river too...not only has
                              it been hot it's been muggy. yesterday was 88 and 90% humidity.
                              today was 90 but the humidity dropped a little! Summer is here!

                              Coy Boy

                              > You bet Coy! I'll make sure you guys get the 3-tree couples setup!
                              We'll
                              > also have some stands so two hammocks can be set up side by side.
                              If it's
                              > as hot next weekend as it was today, I can't wait to jump in the
                              river...Ed

                            • jsmitty77
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 6, 2005
                                Ed,

                                If I come, I will probably get there midday friday. I do not have a
                                hammock stand. Will there be nough trees for me to get my hammock up?

                                Jason S. Smith

                                P.S. Could you email me at jsmitty7@...
                              • dlfrost_1
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 6, 2005
                                  > This is about to happen, I'm going and was wondering who else is
                                  > planning on making it?
                                  >
                                  > Youngblood

                                  I'm now a probable, arriving Fri or Sat (not sure yet when).

                                  Ed, bump up your count by one.

                                  Everybody else: bring your larger tarps--afternoon thundershowers are
                                  very likely now. :-)

                                  Doug Frost
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 6, 2005
                                    Great Doug. Look forward to seeing you again. And if it does rain, we'll
                                    know who to blame. LOL...Ed

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 6, 2005
                                      Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:45:30 -0400
                                      From: "Ed Speer" <ed@...>
                                      >Subject: RE: next SEHHA get-to-gether

                                      >Marta, I can bring a loner hammock for Forrest if you
                                      want...Ed

                                      Thank you very much, Ed, but I will be extremely
                                      surprised if he agrees to come along with me, hammock
                                      or no.

                                      Marta

                                      __________________________________
                                      Discover Yahoo!
                                      http://discover.yahoo.com/
                                    • BRIAN
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 7, 2005
                                        Ed,

                                        My wife Delores and I are starting a planned vacation in N. Georgia
                                        this week-end. I don't know how I talked her into it but, she has
                                        agreed to a 3 1/2 hour detour to Hot Springs. I have tried
                                        desperately to get her to hammock camp with me to no avail. I don't
                                        know if you have any demo hammocks for use but I would love for her to
                                        try one out. I have a HH but look forward to trying one of yours. I
                                        believe I can manage to pack a hammock stand. I hope there is still
                                        room enough for us at the campsite. We should arrive late morning on
                                        Saturday. I look forward to meeting everyone there.

                                        Brian
                                        (From Tampa)

                                        P.S. The SPE works great.
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 8, 2005
                                          Brian, we've got you covered-lots of room & a demo hammock. Look forward to
                                          meeting you and Delores-she'll love hammock camping! ....Ed

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 10, 2005
                                            I'm off for this weekends' SEHHA campout in Hot Springs, NC. Hope to see
                                            everyone there. We currently have about 15 confirmed campers, but expect
                                            even more as some don't announce their plans. Remember, our campout is open
                                            to all and the Bluff Mountain Blue Grass Festival is also this weekend on
                                            the grounds of our campground! Weather is expected to be mid 60's to low
                                            80's with probable afternoon & evening thunder showers-typical summer
                                            weather in the mountains. We'll have a large 10x20 dinning canopy set up so
                                            any dinner-time rain should not be a problem. Bring camp chairs if you have
                                            them-sitting in the river at our campsite is a great way to pass a hot
                                            summer afternoon! The AT also passes only a couple hundred feet from our
                                            campsite so you can hike as little or as much as you want on this famous
                                            trail-even climb the rock cliffs to Lover's Leap!

                                            Full details of the campout can be found at:
                                            http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/HotSpringsJun05.htm

                                            Happy Hammocking..Ed

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 10, 2005
                                              Ed's done gone but. I think I'll pack my tent along. I dont
                                              remember if there were enough trees for 15 hammocks. I can suffer
                                              one night on the ground (I think).

                                              PS
                                              I got a big tarp (cheap/heavy one I've had for a few years but never
                                              used)in case Dave missed my request for his and I can still use the
                                              3 trees.

                                              subject=Unsubscribe>

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 12, 2005
                                                Karen & I just returned from our latest Southeast Hammock Hangers
                                                Association Campout. This was our 11th hammock hangers' campout and it was
                                                held in Hot Springs, NC this weekend. We had a good turnout with 3 hammocks
                                                & 1 RV Friday nite and 6 hammocks Saturday nite. In addition, several
                                                interested folks visited on Sat & Sun. Attending were: Ed & Karen (NC),
                                                Dave (GA), Daryl & wife (KY), Doug (TN), Brian & Delores (FL) & Dwayne &
                                                family (SC). The weather was very pleasant with overcast but dry skies and
                                                gentle winds throughout the weekend. Most of the weekend was spent in
                                                camp--napping, socializing and discussing..what else?.....hammocks! Of
                                                special interest were the two couples set ups (each set up consisted of 2
                                                Speer hammocks side-by-side under one tarp). Had Coy & Rhoda made it, we
                                                would have had 3 couples set ups! Trees and hammock stands together allowed
                                                the side-by-side set ups. The sat pm hot dog roast was tasty and provided
                                                another opportunity for enjoying good company.

                                                Our next SEHHA Campout will be in September-I'll post the details soon.
                                                Hope everyone can make it then..Ed

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 12, 2005
                                                  What a lazy crew. I'm gona plan not to make it in Sept. I made it in
                                                  April when it looked like I wouldnt and didn't in June when I thought
                                                  I would.

                                                  Coy Boy
                                                  PS Saw previous message. you better lay off my cole slaw.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 12, 2005
                                                    When in September Ed?

                                                    Rick

                                                    Coy wrote:

                                                    > What a lazy crew. I'm gona plan not to make it in Sept. I made it in
                                                    > April when it looked like I wouldnt and didn't in June when I thought
                                                    > I would.
                                                    >
                                                    > Coy Boy
                                                    > PS Saw previous message. you better lay off my cole slaw.
                                                    >

                                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
                                                    > > Karen & I just returned from our latest Southeast Hammock Hangers
                                                    > > Association Campout. This was our 11th hammock hangers' campout and
                                                    > it was
                                                    > > held in Hot Springs, NC this weekend. We had a good turnout with 3
                                                    > hammocks
                                                    > > & 1 RV Friday nite and 6 hammocks Saturday nite. In addition, several
                                                    > > interested folks visited on Sat & Sun. Attending were: Ed & Karen (NC),
                                                    > > Dave (GA), Daryl & wife (KY), Doug (TN), Brian & Delores (FL) & Dwayne &
                                                    > > family (SC). The weather was very pleasant with overcast but dry
                                                    > skies and
                                                    > > gentle winds throughout the weekend. Most of the weekend was spent in
                                                    > > camp--napping, socializing and discussing..what else?.....hammocks! Of
                                                    > > special interest were the two couples set ups (each set up consisted
                                                    > of 2
                                                    > > Speer hammocks side-by-side under one tarp). Had Coy & Rhoda made
                                                    > it, we
                                                    > > would have had 3 couples set ups! Trees and hammock stands together
                                                    > allowed
                                                    > > the side-by-side set ups. The sat pm hot dog roast was tasty and
                                                    > provided
                                                    > > another opportunity for enjoying good company.
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Our next SEHHA Campout will be in September-I'll post the details soon.
                                                    > > Hope everyone can make it then..Ed
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
                                                    > > Author, Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Editor, Hammock Camping News
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
                                                    > >

                                                    > > _____

                                                  • dlfrost_1
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 12, 2005
                                                      > Karen & I just returned from our latest Southeast Hammock Hangers
                                                      > Association Campout. This was our 11th hammock hangers' campout
                                                      and it was
                                                      > held in Hot Springs, NC this weekend. We had a good turnout with 3
                                                      hammocks
                                                      > & 1 RV Friday nite and 6 hammocks Saturday nite. In addition,
                                                      several
                                                      > interested folks visited on Sat & Sun. Attending were: Ed & Karen
                                                      (NC),
                                                      > Dave (GA), Daryl & wife (KY), Doug (TN), Brian & Delores (FL) &
                                                      Dwayne &
                                                      > family (SC). The weather was very pleasant with overcast but dry
                                                      skies and
                                                      > gentle winds throughout the weekend. Most of the weekend was spent
                                                      in
                                                      > camp--napping, socializing and discussing..what
                                                      else?.....hammocks!

                                                      I enjoyed the gathering Ed. I can see why you like Hot Springs, it's
                                                      a nice place. Thanks for letting me try out the SPE. I'm quite
                                                      curious to see how well it can work along with a DAM in winter.
                                                      Maybe I'll buy one come September. :-)

                                                      Doug Frost
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 13, 2005
                                                        It was good to see ya again and glad you made it home OK Doug. Hot Springs
                                                        is a special place to all AT thru hikers and it's also become our favorite
                                                        hammock hangers' hangout. Hanging from the trees along the river and yet
                                                        being on the edge of town is really neat. We were lucky with the
                                                        rain-rained hard on us all the way home, yet we broke camp before it
                                                        started. Thanks for helping with the packing up...Ed

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 13, 2005
                                                          Haven't made the campsite reservations yet Rick, but am thinking late
                                                          September, maybe the 23rd & 24th. The weather should be nice and starting
                                                          to cool off a bit. Will make the arrangements soon. Of course, there's
                                                          also our annual cold-weather gathering on Springer Mtn Dec 31. Hope to see
                                                          ya at both..Ed

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 20, 2005
                                                            Thanks Ed. I am just back from a wonderful week on the AT. Catawba to
                                                            Buena Vista. Catching up on email, and dreaming of the wonderful supper
                                                            and breakfast at the Dutch Haus in Montebello.

                                                            Rick

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 21, 2005
                                                              Welcome back Rick. Your spring hike on the AT sounds like it went well.
                                                              One of my fondest memories of my SOBO in 2001 was hanging my hammock in the
                                                              trees atop Tinker Cliffs near Catawba-it was a full moon September night and
                                                              no one else was around. It was a surreal campsite. Hope you had some
                                                              equally wonderful hanging sites..Ed

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jun 21, 2005
                                                                McAfee Knob was a great hanging spot.

                                                                Rick