Re: Benefit of Snakeskins?

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2003
      I have both an Ultralight Asym and an Expedition. The Ultralight has
      snakeskins and the Expedition does not. The only real downside of
      the skins is that you end up with a 6 foot(ish) snake. That's not
      the most convenient thing to pack and takes more room than the stuff
      sack. So, I'm ok with it for the Ultralight (I coil it up inside my
      pack), but my son prefers the stuff sack with the Expedition as he
      prefers the pack size of the sack.

      I've also replaced the fly tie-outs with rubber tubing from a
      slingshot and the string tie-out lines with flourescent yellow nylon
      mason's twine. It's strong enough to hold the fly and lets me (& my
      camp mates) see where the tie-outs are (otherwise it's easy to trip
      over them). The rubber tubing makes it self-tensioning.

      I also whip stiched all around the small ring at the end of the foot
      end of the snakeskin with yellow poly thread. That way I can tell
      which end is the foot end without having to set it up first.

      Jim

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher"
      <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
      > In my opinion, two primary benefits:
      >
      > 1. As you say Shane has said: best drip protection available.
      >
      > 2. You can put the hammock up in the rain without getting it
      wet.
      > There are a couple methods to do this, depending on which make
      > hammock you have, and whether you put the fly up over the hammock,
      or
      > attached to it.
      >
      > 2+ (extra credit) You can lay the hammock on the ground to figure
      > out spacing without getting it wet. (I think Shane also said
      this
      > first as well.)
      >
      > Since you can build your own for just a couple dollars, this is
      > benefit enough, in my book.
    • Stephen T. Gregorie
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2003
        >and whether you put the fly up over the hammock, or
        > attached to it.

        sounds like there are a couple ways to attach the
        fly?...clipped to the tie ropes from the
        hammock..and?? does anyone run seperate tie ropes for
        the fly? I would like a larger light weigh fly, where
        should I look?

        http://platinum.yahoo.com
      • starnescr
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2003
          There is only one way to attach the original fly to the HH. the
          prussic knot has a clip at the end which attaches around to plastic
          circle piece. The fly provided with the HH needs to be down where it
          is to avoid possible blowing rain from getting in. But, if you want
          a larger fly you could run an extra ridge line over the HH and use
          it for the fly hung in a more traditional retecangular shape. Some
          folks like this option as it provides more coverage for cooking etc
          in bad weather. The fly on my Crazy Crib LEX is nice for this but
          the hammock is in the way and with the poles in place. It would be
          a great setup for a simpler hammock in the winter when the enclosure
          wouldnt be needed for bug protection. But the 6 stake it needs is a
          downside. Plusses and minuses for every possible situation and gear
          choice.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen T. Gregorie"

        • geoflyfisher
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
            Hi Steven,

            Nothing new here. Between TopRock and Shane, it has been covered in
            their web sites. But to briefly restate:

            With the HH, one can attach the snakeskins outside or inside the fly
            attchment point. If attached outside the fly, then the fly is
            normally enclosed in the snakeskins. If the Snakeskinz are attached
            between the fly attachment and the hammock, then the snakeskins just
            enclose the hammock and the fly is packed outside it. Advantage of
            this second method is that the fly can be dried separately at lunch.
            If you need to put the hammock up in the rain, you can tie the
            hammock up with the waterproof snakeskins protecting it, then clip on
            the fly, stretch it out with its stakes, and then open the
            snakeskins. This keeps the hammock dry. without having to carefully
            open the snakeskins trying to make sure the fly is on top. If it is
            windy, this ability to put the hammock up without a care is really
            quite nice.

            If you want a lightweight fly which is larger, Campmoor makes one, I
            believe Ed Speer would sell one separately, or you can sew one
            yourself. It is a project which takes about $50 of materials (6 2/3
            yards of silnylon, tie-outs, cords, etc) Ray Jardine's book has OK
            instructions on how to sew it, as do several sources on the net -
            some even better than Ray's. Having built two Jardine type tarps, I
            would opt for deleting the "peaks" for this hammock use.

            With the larger fly, it is normally pitched separately from the
            hammock and then the hammock is tied up under the tarp.

            <><

            <stgga@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > hammock bed. The
            > > > strings wick water away from the rope and it drips
            > > to the ground
            > > > instead of wetting the hammock bed. With the
            > > Snakeskins, the drip
            > > > strings are no longer necessary."
            > > > I haven't been in rain that was so hard that
            > > it's given me any
            > > > problems. We did have a drought last summer here
            > > in Northern PA. I
            > > > also like having the hammock stuff sack to store
            > > my few odds and
            > > end
            > > > like maps, first aid kit, LED light, journal etc
            > > like Sgt Rock does.
            > > > So ok all you people sold on these things tell
            > > me what I am
            > > missing
            > > > out on.

            > Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your
          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
              Stephen:

              If you want to have a larger tarp made, I can vouch for the
              quality of Moonbow Gear.

              http://www.moonbowgear.com/

              They've made me two tarps and the workmanship is excellent.
              Prices depend on what you want, but seemed reasonable to me.

              Bear