Ed- have you ever made end caps for the tarp?

  • athiker1994
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20 5:14 PM
      Hello,
      I've noticed that everyone who saw my hammock setup over the trip
      questioned blowing wind and rain in the ends. Has anyone ever made
      small 1.1 oz endpieces that attach with velcro?

      Todd
      earplug 94
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 6 , May 20 10:29 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994" <athiker94@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I've noticed that everyone who saw my hammock setup over the trip
        > questioned blowing wind and rain in the ends. Has anyone ever made
        > small 1.1 oz endpieces that attach with velcro?

        You might use bug netting at the ends to intercept rain while
        allowing circulation. Otherwise--on cool nights at least--your
        breath might tend to pool at the ridgeline and condense into droplets.

        In answer to your previous message, I'm also using a down bag with
        both my Hennessey and homemade hammocks, along with a Thermarest
        Prolite 3 long. Works fine for most 3-season trips in the southeast
        U.S. Below 45 degrees you'll need more protection.

        Doug Frost
        Message 3 of 6 , May 24 6:30 AM
          Just some food for thought, as I have not tried what you asked. Some
          folks have tried to solve similar problems with their tarps.
          Basically you start with a large tarp and then configure in so that it
          better protects you from the elements. Chet posted this photo of his:
          http://tinyurl.com/cw8em and I posted these of the two tarp sizes I
          have used: http://tinyurl.com/75pzy and http://tinyurl.com/95exs .

          Youngblood

          wrote:
          > Hello,
          > I've noticed that everyone who saw my hammock setup over the trip
          > questioned blowing wind and rain in the ends. Has anyone ever made
          > small 1.1 oz endpieces that attach with velcro?
          >
          > Todd
          > earplug 94
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26 12:08 AM
            Dave,
            What are the dimensions of your tarps in these pics?

            Jamie in AZ

            Message 5 of 6 , May 26 4:42 AM
              Jamie,

              I believe the dimensions for Chet's is 9' long by 11' wide, while mine
              are 10.8'x10.5' and 10.8'x8', respectively.

              Dave

              > Dave,
              > What are the dimensions of your tarps in these pics?
              >
              > Jamie in AZ
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Just some food for thought, as I have not tried what you asked.
              Some
              > > folks have tried to solve similar problems with their tarps.
              > > Basically you start with a large tarp and then configure in so that
              > it
              > > better protects you from the elements. Chet posted this photo of
              > his:
              > > http://tinyurl.com/cw8em and I posted these of the two tarp sizes I
              > > have used: http://tinyurl.com/75pzy and http://tinyurl.com/95exs .
              > >
              > > Youngblood

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 6 , May 26 10:50 PM
                Thank you. I am still using the HH stock tarp (without problem so
                far) but have put some thought into larger tarps as a solution for
                longer trips, and those I take with my dog. Something like what you
                and Chet have created I think would really work nicely to give my dog
                more protection from the elements and make her feel more secure.

                jamie d