Down sleeping bag?

  • athiker1994
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2005
      Hello all,
      I 've always used a marmot down bag in a tent but was wondering if
      anyone has any reservations using a down bag with the speer hammock
      setup? I have even considered one of those Mountain Hardwear spectre
      bags that is very waterproof. I did notice that the hammock actually
      helped with morning condensation. Just wanted your opinions.

      Thanks,
      Todd
      earplug 94
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 8 , May 20, 2005
        You can stay just as dry in a hammock as you can in a tent. Actually,
        the only times I've slept in a wet bag were in tents :p

        If you start getting wet, just lower your tarp. Or start with a
        bigger tarp to begin with.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "athiker1994" <athiker94@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > I 've always used a marmot down bag in a tent but was wondering if
        > anyone has any reservations using a down bag with the speer hammock
        > setup? I have even considered one of those Mountain Hardwear spectre
        > bags that is very waterproof. I did notice that the hammock actually
        > helped with morning condensation. Just wanted your opinions.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Todd
        > earplug 94
      • Anthony (TJ) Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , May 20, 2005
          I use a down bag in my hammock (Hennessy, not Speers) in Florida, and
          haven't had any problems as of yet, even with a deluge that floated away the
          tents a couple people with us were in, or the high humidity levels (90%+)
          that I regularly encounter. However, your mileage may vary.
          TJ

          _____

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 8 , May 21, 2005
            I use a down quilt in my speer like hammock. It works fine. If you buy
            the bag, I would suggest zipping it open to below your bottom and using
            it like a quilt.

            Rick

            athiker1994 wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > I 've always used a marmot down bag in a tent but was wondering if
            > anyone has any reservations using a down bag with the speer hammock
            > setup? I have even considered one of those Mountain Hardwear spectre
            > bags that is very waterproof. I did notice that the hammock actually
            > helped with morning condensation. Just wanted your opinions.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Todd
            > earplug 94

          • Mike Lipay
            Message 5 of 8 , May 21, 2005
              I've been considering using mine (blue kazoo) when the temps drop
              again. Advantage to the kazoo is that you can shift the down between
              front and back to adjust where the "warmth" is, I'm now beginning to
              think they had hammock in mind during the design ;=)

              mike

              On May 20, 2005, at 8:13 PM, athiker1994 wrote:

              > Hello all,
              > I 've always used a marmot down bag in a tent but was wondering if
              > anyone has any reservations using a down bag with the speer hammock
              > setup? I have even considered one of those Mountain Hardwear spectre
              > bags that is very waterproof. I did notice that the hammock actually
              > helped with morning condensation. Just wanted your opinions.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Todd
              > earplug 94
            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 8 , May 22, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lipay <hiking@w...> wrote:
                > I've been considering using mine (blue kazoo) when the temps drop
                > again. Advantage to the kazoo is that you can shift the down
                between
                > front and back to adjust where the "warmth" is, I'm now beginning
                > think they had hammock in mind during the design ;=)

                Yes, that's a necessary feature: no side-baffles. The other is a
                full-length zipper so you can open the thing up and lay it on
                loosely. I like having a footbox at the end because my feet and legs
                get cold more quickly than my torso, and I can easily adjust for the
                latter by flipping the upper end of the bag back or by pushing it
                down. And being able to zip it up during a cold snap is a nice bonus.

                Doug Frost
              • Mike Lipay
                Message 7 of 8 , May 23, 2005
                  >> I've been considering using mine (blue kazoo) when the temps drop
                  >> again. Advantage to the kazoo is that you can shift the down
                  >>
                  > between
                  >
                  >> front and back to adjust where the "warmth" is, I'm now beginning

                  >> think they had hammock in mind during the design ;=)
                  >>

                  > Yes, that's a necessary feature: no side-baffles. The other is a
                  > full-length zipper so you can open the thing up and lay it on
                  > loosely. I like having a footbox at the end because my feet and legs
                  > get cold more quickly than my torso, and I can easily adjust for the
                  > latter by flipping the upper end of the bag back or by pushing it
                  > down. And being able to zip it up during a cold snap is a nice bonus.
                  >
                  > Doug Frost

                  Yeah, I figured it would work well during spring and fall, not so
                  sure about winter since you need insulation on top and bottom. Any
                  experiences?

                  mike
                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 23, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lipay <hiking@w...> wrote:
                    > Yeah, I figured it would work well during spring and fall, not so
                    > sure about winter since you need insulation on top and bottom. Any
                    > experiences?
                    >
                    > mike

                    Well a bag works better in the winter for the same reason it works on
                    the ground: close insulation sealed all the way around you. But you
                    still need underinsulation to replace the ground/pad, and so far the
                    most workable solution for cold weather is hanging a bag of
                    insulation under the hammock. By the time you've rigged the
                    insulation so it stays close enough to work well you're probably
                    squeezing the down bag, so why not just bring the underinsulator all
                    the way around--making _it_ the bag--and just have a lightweight
                    quilt on top of you inside? That's where we are right now.

                    I'm messing with the down air matress (DAM) as a below-freezing
                    solution. There are some problems doing this so I don't know yet if
                    I can make it work. I'll know more in six months though. :-)

                    Doug Frost