Alternative to Nylon?

  • T. E. Andersen
    Message 1 of 18 , May 20, 2005
      Hi all!

      I'm about to make my first camping hammock (or at least so I hope). In
      our family, we've used cotton hammocks for as long as I can remember,
      but they are too heavy and bulky for carrying around in the forest...

      I recently got Speers book, and am rather keen to get started.
      Surprisingly, though, it seems that no shop here in Norway (at least
      that's the way it feels after spending a couple of hours on the phone)
      carries ripstop nylon. In fact heavy weight "Beaver nylon" is the only
      thing I've found. Polyester on the other hand, seems to be everywhere.
      Importing just a few meters of fabric may be the solution, but I'd
      prefer not to.

      So, my question is simply: Can polyester replace the nylon and silnylon
      for the hammock/ cover?

      Best regards,
      Tom Einar Andersen
      Message 2 of 18 , May 20, 2005
        Yes. Approximately the same weight of material works. So what you are
        interested in is a polyester that weighs about 60 grams per sq m.

        Rick

        T. E. Andersen wrote:

        > Hi all!
        >
        > I'm about to make my first camping hammock (or at least so I hope). In
        > our family, we've used cotton hammocks for as long as I can remember,
        > but they are too heavy and bulky for carrying around in the forest...
        >
        > I recently got Speers book, and am rather keen to get started.
        > Surprisingly, though, it seems that no shop here in Norway (at least
        > that's the way it feels after spending a couple of hours on the phone)
        > carries ripstop nylon. In fact heavy weight "Beaver nylon" is the only
        > thing I've found. Polyester on the other hand, seems to be everywhere.
        > Importing just a few meters of fabric may be the solution, but I'd
        > prefer not to.
        >
        > So, my question is simply: Can polyester replace the nylon and silnylon
        > for the hammock/ cover?
        >

        > Best regards,
        > Tom Einar Andersen

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 18 , May 20, 2005
          You should also check out Rick's site
          http://www.imrisk.com/

          towards the bottom are some neat suggestions for easy hammocks

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 18 , May 20, 2005
            Part 2...

            Replacing silnylon is a hard task, at least if the goal is to keep the
            weight down. PU coated fabric works, but it is much heavier than 1.3 oz
            silnylon. Tyvec is too noisy in a breeze. It may be possible to try
            painting some lightweight polyester

            Rick

            T. E. Andersen wrote:

            > Hi all!
            >
            > I'm about to make my first camping hammock (or at least so I hope). In
            > our family, we've used cotton hammocks for as long as I can remember,
            > but they are too heavy and bulky for carrying around in the forest...
            >
            > I recently got Speers book, and am rather keen to get started.
            > Surprisingly, though, it seems that no shop here in Norway (at least
            > that's the way it feels after spending a couple of hours on the phone)
            > carries ripstop nylon. In fact heavy weight "Beaver nylon" is the only
            > thing I've found. Polyester on the other hand, seems to be everywhere.
            > Importing just a few meters of fabric may be the solution, but I'd
            > prefer not to.
            >
            > So, my question is simply: Can polyester replace the nylon and silnylon
            > for the hammock/ cover?
            >

            > Best regards,
            > Tom Einar Andersen

          • Chuck Haak
            Message 5 of 18 , May 20, 2005
              Tom Einar Andersen wrote:
              Can polyester replace the nylon and silnylon
              for the hammock/ cover?

              I made my first Speer Hammock out of cheap polyester supplex from the
              Joanne Fabrics bargain rack. I like it a lot. Unfortunately, Joanne does
              not carry that line of fabric anymore.

              Pbmoo4
            • zippydooda
              Message 6 of 18 , May 20, 2005
                Not sure what Rick was going to say (I think he got cut off), but
                polyester could be painted either with a polyurethane solution or with
                a mixture of silicone caulk and mineral spirits in order to waterproof
                it. Either way, don't blow yourself up.

                Bill in Houston

                Message 7 of 18 , May 20, 2005
                  Yea, what Bill said.

                  I'd suggest silicone caulk in a solvent base if you can find a place
                  where you will not blow up or burn up.

                  You can also use elastomeric roof coating or even interior, water based
                  varnish in a pinch.

                  Rick

                  zippydooda wrote:

                  > Not sure what Rick was going to say (I think he got cut off), but
                  > polyester could be painted either with a polyurethane solution or with
                  > a mixture of silicone caulk and mineral spirits in order to waterproof
                  > it. Either way, don't blow yourself up.
                  >
                  > Bill in Houston
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                  > > Part 2...
                  > >
                  > > Replacing silnylon is a hard task, at least if the goal is to keep
                  > the
                  > > weight down. PU coated fabric works, but it is much heavier than 1.3
                  > oz
                  > > silnylon. Tyvec is too noisy in a breeze. It may be possible to try
                  > > painting some lightweight polyester
                  > >
                  > > Rick

                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 20, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "T. E. Andersen"
                    <postlister@m...> wrote:
                    > So, my question is simply: Can polyester replace the nylon and
                    silnylon
                    > for the hammock/ cover?

                    As the others have said, yes. For example, I have a couple of
                    hammocks made from common "Top Weight Poly Soild" sold here in
                    WalMart stores. One I use for testing has a long 12' bed length and
                    weighs a pound total (including end-wipping and a tie off loop at
                    each end).

                    Some people are using silk for hammock beds. (I'll let the others
                    chime in on that one as I can't find my links for it at the moment.)
                    I don't know how well a natural fabric would take to being
                    siliconized though.

                    One source of nylon probably suitable for tarp making is lining
                    material. This is common in fabric stores and on bargain racks
                    therein. In a pinch 3 ml. plastic sheeting is servcable.

                    Doug Frost
                  • Mike Lipay
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 21, 2005
                      If a novice can check it, for the tarp I used the footprint from my
                      tent. Waterproof, light, cheap (I already had it, and wasn't using it
                      now). Plus, it already has grommets built in.

                      mike

                      On May 20, 2005, at 5:20 PM, Rick wrote:

                      > Yea, what Bill said.
                      >
                      > I'd suggest silicone caulk in a solvent base if you can find a place
                      > where you will not blow up or burn up.
                      >
                      > You can also use elastomeric roof coating or even interior, water
                      > based
                      > varnish in a pinch.
                      >
                      > Rick
                    • T. E. Andersen
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 23, 2005
                        Thank you for all advice!

                        I'll have a go at a hammock in the near future. I've seen some polyester
                        fabric at very low prices in the city I most often visit, so I'll get
                        that next time I go.

                        Just one more question: Is 60g/m2 really enough? This seems very thin to me.
                        I would never trust my life to a rope unless its breaking strength is at
                        least twice the weight it needs to carry, preferably 3x. In my case,
                        that means the hammock should be able to carry at least 250kg, probably
                        its best if it can hold more than 300kg (with clothing, pad and sleeping
                        bag, I guess I'm about 110kg).

                        I've fallen through a hammock in my youth, and also had a rope break
                        (both in old and rather worn canvas/grass rope hammocks). I was not
                        injured, and apart from a pine cone (with which I had a quite unpleasant
                        encounter), the ground was flat. On the other hand, this is not
                        something I would like to do on a regular basis....

                        Which leads me back to the essential question: Is 60g/m2 adequate?
                        (That's about 1.77 oz/yd2)!

                        Best regards,
                        Tom Einar

                        Ps.: I got an error message when I tried to send this the first time. It
                        seems that yahoo-e-mails had been bouncing at my ISP, and consequently
                        Yahoo temporarily closed my account (this happens at least once a month,
                        I don't know why). I may have missed answers from you, and if so, I
                        apologize. The last posting I have on the topic is from Rick, 20.05.2005
                        23.20.
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 23, 2005
                          Tom, I've tested 1.9 oz/yd2 to 375 lbs w/ me bouncing up & down-the only
                          thing that happened was it pulled the bolts out of the wall of my bedroom!
                          That same hammock now has 4,500 hrs of use and is still going strong. I
                          rate my hammocks with 1.9 fabric to 250 lbs and haven't had any problems.
                          I've had less successful results with weaker ripstop-1.1 oz/yd2 worked fine
                          until a small brush cut or tear got started, then it failed catastrophically
                          the next time used. I suspect all hammocks will fail eventually from
                          exposure to the elements and the constant stress of use-you only hope the
                          failure is gradual enough for you to catch it before you end up on the
                          ground.

                          Your concerns about holding weight should also apply to the hanging straps.
                          I recommend at least 700 lb breaking strength polypropylene or polyester
                          webbing straps and it's buyer beware since many straps for sale are much
                          weaker and you can't tell just by looking at them. Also note that it's
                          practically impossible to visibly distinguish between polypropylene,
                          polyester, and nylon webbing, but you'll want to avoid nylon due to it's
                          high-memory stretch.

                          Making your own hammock is both fun and rewarding! FYI, we sell camping
                          hammock kits with everything needed to make your own-so we've done most of
                          the work for you. We also have the recommended webbing straps in cut
                          lengths.

                          All the best with your project..Ed

                          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                          Editor, Hammock Camping News

                          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                          _____

                        • hiking@westernpa.us
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 23, 2005
                            On a rope all the stress is contained within a small area, in the hammock
                            material you are spreading your weight out over server sq meters. Now, if
                            you tried to stand up in the hammock and concentrated your weight in the
                            area taken upp by your feet then, yes, the material would give.

                            mike

                            > Thank you for all advice!
                            >
                            > I'll have a go at a hammock in the near future. I've seen some polyester
                            > fabric at very low prices in the city I most often visit, so I'll get
                            > that next time I go.
                            >
                            > Just one more question: Is 60g/m2 really enough? This seems very thin to
                            > me.
                            > I would never trust my life to a rope unless its breaking strength is at
                            > least twice the weight it needs to carry, preferably 3x. In my case,
                            > that means the hammock should be able to carry at least 250kg, probably
                            > its best if it can hold more than 300kg (with clothing, pad and sleeping
                            > bag, I guess I'm about 110kg).
                            >
                            > I've fallen through a hammock in my youth, and also had a rope break
                            > (both in old and rather worn canvas/grass rope hammocks). I was not
                            > injured, and apart from a pine cone (with which I had a quite unpleasant
                            > encounter), the ground was flat. On the other hand, this is not
                            > something I would like to do on a regular basis....
                            >
                            > Which leads me back to the essential question: Is 60g/m2 adequate?
                            > (That's about 1.77 oz/yd2)!
                            >

                            > Best regards,
                            > Tom Einar
                            >

                            > Ps.: I got an error message when I tried to send this the first time. It
                            > seems that yahoo-e-mails had been bouncing at my ISP, and consequently
                            > Yahoo temporarily closed my account (this happens at least once a month,
                            > I don't know why). I may have missed answers from you, and if so, I
                            > apologize. The last posting I have on the topic is from Rick, 20.05.2005
                            > 23.20.

                            Happens to everyone, Yahoo mail sucks.
                          • stereologen
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 24, 2005
                              Now you have me worried; My behind _is_ bigger than my feet, but not
                              all that much....:-))

                              Tom Einar

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, hiking@w... wrote:
                              > On a rope all the stress is contained within a small area, in the
                              hammock
                              > material you are spreading your weight out over server sq meters.
                              Now, if
                              > you tried to stand up in the hammock and concentrated your weight in the
                              > area taken upp by your feet then, yes, the material would give.
                              >
                              > mike

                              Ps. I still have trouble with this list. Now I'm getting other
                              messages, but not this thread. (I have to log onto Yahoo and read
                              online to read this thread). Have anyone had similar difficulties, and
                              if so, is there a cure?
                            • stereologen
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 24, 2005
                                > Tom, I've tested 1.9 oz/yd2 to 375 lbs w/ me bouncing up & down-the only
                                > thing that happened was it pulled the bolts out of the wall of my
                                bedroom!
                                This may be a new line of business: Demolition hammocks! :-)

                                > I recommend at least 700 lb breaking strength polypropylene or polyester
                                > webbing straps and it's buyer beware since many straps for sale are much
                                > weaker and you can't tell just by looking at them. Also note that it's
                                > practically impossible to visibly distinguish between polypropylene,
                                > polyester, and nylon webbing, but you'll want to avoid nylon due to it's
                                > high-memory stretch.

                                The only source I've found for the webbing, is to buy luggage straps.
                                The ones I've looked at are declared both for fiber and strength, so I
                                should be able to find a suitable one. There is a 1" strap with a
                                breaking strenght of 500kg (about 1100lbs), and I thought I'd get the
                                webbing from that one. There is also a 350kg strap (~770lbs), and
                                based on what you say, that should do as well, I guess.

                                There are straps made from all three polymers; nylon is not the thing,
                                but should I choose PP or polyester, if there is a choice?

                                > Making your own hammock is both fun and rewarding! FYI, we sell camping
                                > hammock kits with everything needed to make your own-so we've done
                                most of
                                > the work for you. We also have the recommended webbing straps in cut
                                > lengths.
                                I did consider this. However, with the shipping, customs handling fees
                                and taxes, the price is nearly doubled by the time it gets here. I may
                                opt for a kit or finnished product later, but for now, I just want to
                                find out if this type of hammock is as comfortable as everybody says.

                                > All the best with your project..Ed

                                Thank you!

                                Finally; Thank you all for kind advice!

                                Best regards,
                                Tom Einar
                              • Mike Lipay
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 24, 2005
                                  On May 24, 2005, at 7:33 PM, stereologen wrote:

                                  > The only source I've found for the webbing, is to buy luggage straps.
                                  > The ones I've looked at are declared both for fiber and strength, so I
                                  > should be able to find a suitable one. There is a 1" strap with a
                                  > breaking strenght of 500kg (about 1100lbs), and I thought I'd get the
                                  > webbing from that one. There is also a 350kg strap (~770lbs), and
                                  > based on what you say, that should do as well, I guess.

                                  Try these:

                                  1000lb: http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&dept%
                                  5Fid=10196&pf%
                                  5Fid=PAAAIAFJBPHFOIPE&mscssid=81091266870498778117132186889651

                                  1500lb: http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&dept%
                                  5Fid=10196&pf%
                                  5Fid=PAAAAALEAEHKOIPE&mscssid=81091266870498778117132186889651

                                  at 15' each you should have more than enough.

                                  mike
                                • jwj32542
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 24, 2005
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "stereologen" > Ps. I still
                                    have trouble with this list. Now I'm getting other
                                    > messages, but not this thread. (I have to log onto Yahoo and read
                                    > online to read this thread). Have anyone had similar difficulties,
                                    and
                                    > if so, is there a cure?

                                    Try getting the digest version?
                                  • jwj32542
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 24, 2005
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "stereologen" <postlister@m...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > The only source I've found for the webbing, is to buy luggage straps.

                                      This is what I use:
                                      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm
                                      Webbing, Polypropylene Protects trees, recommend 2 @ 12' ea for
                                      hammock;
                                      1" Wide, 700 lb breaking strength (supports up to 250 lbs in hammock),
                                      black, low-memory stretch; 24' weighs 5 oz; $0.50/yd

                                      Annapolis Performance Sailing all kinds of line and cordage, but I
                                      haven't used them. They have some cheap 1" Polyester webbing, but for
                                      some reason they won't let me copy the description because it's
                                      copyrighted...guess they don't want free advertising.
                                      http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e885.asp
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 24, 2005
                                        Tom, polyester is the best, if you can find it. It is strong and has the
                                        least stretch of the 3, but deteriorates the fastest in sunlight. PP is the
                                        next best choice. The strengths you mentioned are quite suitable...Ed