RE: Hammock Camping Speer straps

    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 13, 2003
      Message
      Yes Bear,  I use 1" wide polpypro webbing for hanging straps.  It only stretches the first time used (low memory-stretch); afterwards it does not stretch any more.  It also does not harm the bark of young trees; especially if attached with my recommended overlapping folds instead a an actual knot.  I've found that nylon straps have high-memory stretch--ie, they will return to the unstretched state immediately after each use.  This can be madding for a hammock user whose butt hits the ground; yet when they get out to reset the straps, they snap back and now have no slack to give up!

      Actually, I also like polyester webbing because it has no stretch to begin with.  Polyester webbing must be bought in large quantities (OK for a hammock manufacturer like me); but trying to find a seller of short cut lengths needed by someone making their own hammock is impossible.  I hope to soon have a supply.--Ed

      From: David Chinell [mailto:dchinell@...]
      Ed:

      Someone mentioned that you use straps on your hammocks. Can you give me some details?

      I think the Crazy Creek nylon straps with metal buckles are great, and tried to pry some extras out of their customer service department to no avail.

      Bear

      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 14, 2003
        Message
        The Velcro is 1" wide; it does gather lint & debris, but this is not a serious problem.  I like the Velcro because it always works (unlike zippers) and I can grab the bug net edges anywhere and open it to get out, even in total darkness (handy when the call of nature calls in the middle of the night)....Ed
        How wide are the strips of Velcro on the sides.  I really like that idea.  Have you had any problems with leaves or dirt or any of natures other elements making the Velcro unable to stay shut?  No I haven't gotten the book I'm looking forward to reading it.  What is the farthest distance trees can be apart?  I hope I have been a bother.  I'll be ordering it on the 12th or 15th of Feb when I get back from the honeymoon. Get your thread ready. :)
        -Jason S