Making a Tarp - Pictures of Construction?

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2005
      I am ordering the silnylon, grosgrain ribbon, etc. to FINALLY make my
      catenary tarp. I got Mirage's Visio diagrams (thank you once again!)
      and the calculator, but at one point, someone had posted or sent a
      link to a detailed walk-through of the assembly of such a thing,
      complete with great pictures and instructions for the tie-outs and the
      flat-felled middle seam (though I think I have that one understood).

      Can anyone point me in the direction of those awesome
      pictures/instructions?

      Thanks.

      Jonas
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...> wrote:
        > Can anyone point me in the direction of those awesome
        > pictures/instructions?

        Jonas,

        Here are some, not sure if they are the ones you are looking for:

        http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/SilNylTarp/index.html

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2005
          Mirage-

          Those were EXACTLY the ones I recall seeing, thank you!

          Is the tarp is used with the ridgeline grosgrain ribbon underneath or
          on the outside/top?

          Nice sewing, btw. Hope my lines are as straight...

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
          wrote:
          > > Can anyone point me in the direction of those awesome
          > > pictures/instructions?
          > >

          > Jonas,
          >
          > Here are some, not sure if they are the ones you are looking for:
          >
          > http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/SilNylTarp/index.html
          >
          > Shane "Mirage"...
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 4 , May 21, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...> wrote:
            > Is the tarp is used with the ridgeline grosgrain ribbon underneath or
            > on the outside/top?

            On mine, the GG is on the outside. I sealed the inside of the ridge seam and all corners/
            tieouts. I'm not saying thats the right way, or better way, just the way I did it.

            I can see some benifit to putting it on the inside. It would keep if from holding water. You
            would have to seal the outside then, and that could be a problem with UV exposure and
            the silicone tends to "collect" dust, dirt and debri.

            Anyway, thanks for the compliments on the sewing. It's really not as great as it looks in
            the pictures. The only advise I can strongly reccomend is to practice, practice and
            practice. Use scraps and practice sewing the flat felled seam, and the GG to the rolled
            edge, etc... Oh yeah, and be PATIENT!!!!

            Shane "Mirage"...