RE: Hammock Camping Any tips for pitching/centering

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2003
      > I just purchased a HH-Expedition A-Sym last week and have
      > only piched it twice; once in the backyard and once to
      > actually camp in this past weekend. So far, I am impressed
      > and expect this to be my shelter of choice at least half of
      > the year (the warmer half). Both times I set
      > it up, however, I had to tie it up and then untie and adjust
      > a couple of times to get it properly centered between the
      > trees. Is there a simple trick for this or does it just
      > come more naturally with time and practice?

      It will get easier with time and practice. The other thing to know is that
      you don't have to be perfectly centered between the trees. There is a lot
      of forgiveness built into the system. If you're using the Snakeskins, it
      makes life easier.

      What I do is lay the hammock out between the trees and center it on the
      ground. I tie one side, and then the other. Since it's already laid out, I
      have a good idea how it should hang. I rarely have to adjust it in any way.

      Shane
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2003
        Tripp:

        Measurements and math might indeed be a good way, if not the
        best. Alas, it's more science than I can manage at the end
        of a hike.

        I sometimes start by tying the hammock loosely, without the
        treehugger straps, using a taugline hitch. Then you can
        adjust the hammock back and forth. Once it's centered, tie
        one end the right way, but without pulling it very tight (so
        as not to slip the tautline on the other end). Finally, tie
        the other end and tension the whole thing at that end.

        When I'm doing this, I usually gauge things by how far back
        the working end of the hammock line comes along the
        ridgeline. Things like "it's a forearm short of touching the
        fabric of the hammock."

        Or take along a buddy and help each other out.

        Bear